Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fshrmanms

turkey feathers

Wow there are lots of feathers here, I am not sure which ones to save, I know I can use the big tail feathers and the secondary wing feathers or should I just try to save them all so I can share with my friend? I have two birds.

post-30867-0-17211900-1335028009_thumb.jpg

Wow there are lots of feathers here, I am not sure which ones to save, I know I can use the big tail feathers and the secondary wing feathers or should I just try to save them all so I can share with my friend? I have two birds.

I would try to cure the whole bird. You will be surprised what uses you can find. The mottled feathers that don't have an obvious use can be broken up and used for legs, tails etc. I was given a bag full of feathers from a mate who killed 3 of his and only your imagination can stop you. Check the thread about turkey beard elsewhere of FTF.

I would save ALL of them. The tail feathers make great nymphs use them just lie pheasant tails. They also make great wing cases on nymphs, and are good when coated with a little flex-cement and cut for stonefly wing cases. I even use the shorter tail feathers the same way. The wing primaries are great for quill bodies, or tails and legs. The wing secondaries make nice wings on wet fly patterns, and hoppers. The mottled wing secondaries are also used for tails and wings on muddlers.

The flats once again, work great for either wrapping nymph bodies, or wingcases, or both. There is a lot of great marabou on the skin as well Its a great natural gray color.

You can simply clip the wing feathers from the wings, and pair them up. Do the same with the tail feathers. As for the rest of the skin, it needs to be thoroughly scrapped, to remove all flesh and fat. Then it needs to be washed and dried. I'm sure you know just how bad a "ripe" turkey can smell.

Place the washed skin (feather side up,) on layered newspaper and blow dry (no heat,) or air dry if its warm and dry. When the feathers are fairly dry, then place on new newspaper (feather side down,) Salt down the skin with un-iodized salt, and place a few layers of paper over that The salt will absorb moisture from the skin. You may need to shake it off after a day or two and re-salt. Place the thoroughly dried skin in a large plastic. I usually microwave any that I get from hunters. Fifteen seconds in the microwave on high is plenty. Wait for about a minute and do it again. Then I just add a few mothballs to the bag.

I have two complete skins I have had for several years now, I have had no problem with bugs.

utyer...

Excellent instructions on how to handle the skin. I also SECOND saving the whole enchilada! As an additional note, on bird skins you can use Borax as a substitute for the salt. Also, there is no real need to microwave, freeze, etc., as any vermin on the bird are parasites of the bird and will die of their own accord shortly after death of the bird, or they will 'move on to greener pastures'. It is the clothes moth, and certain other beetles that invade long after death that destroy the feathers, hair , etc. The real situation is one of PREVENTION AFTER PRESERVING; not ELIMINATION soon after harvest.

Cheers!

ive been using alot of the triangle feathers on the breast & back.

i strip 1 side before wrapping

you only get a wrap or so but if you use 2 feathers it fills in

they are long & stiff so ive been putting them in my sculpin flies before putting the wool head on