Fly Tying
jgn113

buying a fly rod

I am looking for suggestions on buying a new rod(as the one I have is borrowed to see if I could handle the stress of flyfishing). I am looking for information on decent starter rods/combos that wont break the bank! There are a lot of options out there and I was looking for feedback on what others have started out on before I open the wallet. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

I started on the Cabelas Cahill 5 wt a 9' the complete set rod reel and line is $65. I fish for panfish and bass. In my opinion its a good starter set. There are many, many different options out there. Take your time do a little research and see which one you think will do the best for your particular situation.

You don't want to know what I started out with, it was way too long ago, and complete junk by today's standards. I caught plenty of fish with it that first year, and by the next year, I had rebuilt a bamboo rod from all the broken miss matched sections I found in the garage. It was also a piece of junk. Way too heavy for my needs, but again it was pretty inexpensive. The only costs to me were a few bucks for some ferrules guides, thread and varnish. I kept moving onward and upward (in price that is.) A few fiberglass rods (one, a Berkley Cherrywood that I particularly liked,) came next. Then on to graphite, more bamboo, and even a Boron rod. All of these kept getting more and more expensive. There was a time when I would sell off last year's rods, and build new ones. Building my own saved me some, and I could get rod blanks wholesale from any manufacturer. Finally, it dawned on me, that it really didn't matter all that much just what rod I had, I could get the line out, and catch plenty of fish with any of them.

Starting about 20 years ago, I started to "downgrade" my rods. I sold off my high priced Sage, Loomis, Winston, and Orvis rods. I started purchasing less expensive rods to replace them. Guess what? I can still cast just fine and catch plenty of fish with a $99.00 Cabelas rod. or a Reddington, or the lowest level Orvis import rod. I now have rods from Echo, Cabela's (2) Orvis, and Reddington. Lately I have fished with a $49.00 Cortland rod that worked just fine. It was a loaner from a friend, and he fished with me and does just fine with it.

From my recent experience, I would recommend you get an inexpensive Outfit, from Reddington, Cabela's, or Cortland. I have cast recently with TFO rods and they are also fine. Only if you travel frequently, would you need to get a four piece rod in the outfit. The best thing to do if you can, is go to a shop that will let you try them out. Then pick out the cheapest outfit you like that has an "unlimited" replacement policy.

No one NEEDS an $800.00 rod to catch fish. Stay under $200 for the whole thing, and spend the extra $600 on lessons, and flies or materials, or a nice fishing trip.

A few years ago I bought a Cabelas 'clear creek' 6' 5wt and it served me well for 4 or 5 years. I did buy a 2wt 6' TFO that also works well. I only bought the TFO because I wanted a lighter rod. I can recommend both and both came as combos for around $100. Line and backing was also included. I did end up overlining the 2wt with a high end line and I like it much better. I believe that BPS also sells some decent rod combos for the same price range. I also like Pflueger Medalist reels for about $30. I own several and one has lasted me 35 years and will out last me. It has even seen the salt a couple of times. A fly outfit does not need to be high dollar to work well. Flies get to be expensive though. I started tying after my first time on the water with my new fly rod. I lost $2 worth of flies in about an hour and I was too frugle(read that as cheap) to put up with that. :rolleyes: Back then you could buy a top of the line glass rod for $60.(excluding bamboo, they were in the $200 range from Orvis)

A few years ago I bought a Cabelas 'clear creek' 6' 5wt and it served me well for 4 or 5 years. I did buy a 2wt 6' TFO that also works well. I only bought the TFO because I wanted a lighter rod. I can recommend both and both came as combos for around $100. Line and backing was also included. I did end up overlining the 2wt with a high end line and I like it much better. I believe that BPS also sells some decent rod combos for the same price range. I also like Pflueger Medalist reels for about $30. I own several and one has lasted me 35 years and will out last me. It has even seen the salt a couple of times. A fly outfit does not need to be high dollar to work well. Flies get to be expensive though. I started tying after my first time on the water with my new fly rod. I lost $2 worth of flies in about an hour and I was too frugle(read that as cheap) to put up with that. :rolleyes: Back then you could buy a top of the line glass rod for $60.(excluding bamboo, they were in the $200 range from Orvis)

There are several guys around who could build you a one of a kind for around 200 give or take. I have an 4 wt that I am building a guy for $250 right now. If you don't mind used there is a ton of stuff available as well. I just picked up a nice little 3 weight outfit for $50 bucks and a repair job to a friends rod...fun rod to fish.

I am looking for suggestions on buying a new rod(as the one I have is borrowed to see if I could handle the stress of flyfishing). I am looking for information on decent starter rods/combos that wont break the bank! There are a lot of options out there and I was looking for feedback on what others have started out on before I open the wallet. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Cabelas is a good way to start. I have a Traditional III, 8'6 5Wt and used it for years. Did everything I asked it to do, maybe a little too slow, but overall a great rod and I really never had any complaints about it. It handled Yellowstone just fine,so I think it could probably handle anywhere.

I would look into either a cabelas, tfo or Orvis Clearwater(the old models are on sale for 120 dollars or so). You don't need anything fancy. If you're fishing small streams, and some larger streams, probably a 8'6 or 7'6 4 wt(depending on the overhang in the small streams). Other wise a 9 ft or 8'6 5Wt and save the extra money for something else.

I can recommend the Albright Topwater Outfits now on sale for $120 for rod, reel, backing, fly line and leader. We use the 9 ft 5/6 wt to teach our classes.

The reel is metal instead of plastic and we haven't broken one yet.

http://albrightflyfish.com/items/topwater-outfits/list.htm

Check out the reviews on the plastic Cahill reel from Cabelas. there are too many reports of reel problems.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/320499/cabelas-cahill-fly-rod-and-reel-outfit-reviews/reviews.htm

March 19, 2012

just opened the box for spring fishing (Michigan) and the locking rings are backwards, no way I could attach the reel. After reading the reviews I might just return it. For the price, its not bad but whoever inspects did not do their job very well.

Great rod , Poor Real

October 17, 2011

In purchasing this combo its sole use was mainly for salmon fishing. We had taken our 4 day trip and 4 hours into the trip the reel had completely failed and freewheeled for the following 3 days. The failed components were the directional one way gear and the clutch drag gear. I would recommend the fly rod to anyone as i found it was a great product but i would not recommend the reel to anyone that was fishing for anything over 5-6 pounds as it would most likely not hold up .

Rod is Sufficient, Reel is Inadequate

October 17, 2011

I have to be fair while writing this review. Because of the price of this combo, I really cannot complain too much. You get what you pay for.

My friend and I both purchased a 9' 8wt setup for a salmon fishing trip. After a few hours of fishing the first day, the directional gear in my friends reel exploded while battling a fish, causing the line to strip from the reel and build a crows nest. The plastic innards of the directional gear broke and came apart. Mine made it through the first day hooking into many Kings and landing 5 between 16-22lbs. Right off the bat the second morning I hooked into a fish and the drag started to slip and then failed causing the same rapid unspooling and crows nest. I descovered the teeth actually ripped off of the plastic drag gear. So after the first day, both of us had no drag and were palming the reel trying to land fish for the rest of the trip. We were not very sucsessful.

For a beginner combo, this is a decent setup, however if you are planning on catching fish over 5lbs, I would not recommend it. I was initially worried about the rod, however I was really happy with its performance throughout the week. The floating line and leader held up very well. In fact, I used the same leader all week and just kept replacing tippet. The reel might work for catching trout and small bass, but it is not cut out for anything sizable. The entire drag system is junk.

pieces of trash

July 8, 2011

first i bought a 5 weight rod & it broke on the second largest bass i ever caught (despite breaking i still landed it). it was only 2 weeks old. i returned this and then 2 weeks later the spool falls off the reel while fishing

i bought a second 5 weight for a family member. upon opening it the spool does not sit tight on the reel & falls off right out of the box

i bought a 9 weight for salt water. when using it the spool fell right off the reel. it was only 3 weeks old.

the inners of the reel are plastic and wear too easily. the catch that holds the spool to the reel wears away and then will not hold the spool to the reel.

i bought these to cut my teeth on fly fishing (which i now love) . i fish 4-6 times per week for 2 hours a sitting. i do not expect the reels to fall apart so easily. i have been fishing for over 30 years & take good care of my gear. i still have set ups that i had as a kid

in my opinion these are trash & you get what you pay for. all 3 of these are being returned this weekend. i am highly unsatisfied

Rods good, the reels bad

January 17, 2011

I just got this rod and reel combo 2 weeks ago. The drag just broke and started dumping the flyline onto the ground. To warrentee this you need to send back the whole combo and wait to get another one. I found the drag to be made out of plastic. Be ready to buy a different reel

Real was broken out of the box

July 25, 2010

I had to put an old Fenwick real on it for my nephew. I got it as a gift/starter set for him. The drag wouldn't adjust (way too tight) and I had to switch reals since we were on a trip in Colorado. No time to contact Cabela's and get a return.

I really enjoy my TFO I won last year at a fly fishing fundraiser not sure if they come in Kit combos but I'm sure a local fly shop could throw a decent package together for ya and the best part about the TFO line is they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. But like many other things in life everyone will have their own options both positive and negative about certain rods/reels, so the best thing you can do is go to the local fly shops and test multiple rods and reel combos.

I really enjoy my TFO I won last year at a fly fishing fundraiser not sure if they come in Kit combos but I'm sure a local fly shop could throw a decent package together for ya and the best part about the TFO line is they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. But like many other things in life everyone will have their own options both positive and negative about certain rods/reels, so the best thing you can do is go to the local fly shops and test multiple rods and reel combos.

Man..I am building a 7'9" TFO 3 weight on their Finesse blank right now...if I were closer to finishing it I would be willing to sell this TFO Professional 3 wt (7 foot 6 inches) with the SA reel and line for about 125. If you still are looking in say a month or so hit me up...I don't need two and its a sweet outfit. I suppose my son could use it though.

Thank You EVERYONE who provided insight on this. I have been doing research for over a month and after careful consideration and input from friends and FTF I finally pulled the trigger on a Cortland rod package with reel and the extras. Thank you andgood luck fishin'.

Man..I am building a 7'9" TFO 3 weight on their Finesse blank right now...if I were closer to finishing it I would be willing to sell this TFO Professional 3 wt (7 foot 6 inches) with the SA reel and line for about 125. If you still are looking in say a month or so hit me up...I don't need two and its a sweet outfit. I suppose my son could use it though.

I will keep you in mind.... I could use a backup rod now. Would you sell the rod only?