Fly Tying
Jordon W

Cheap bug barn fly box

Ran across this link the other day to make a cliff bug barn fly box and thought it would be something to pass along for many of you guys to try. I havent made one yet but hope to real soon. Please let me know if anyone tries to make one how it works! Here is the link: http://www.flycurious.com/budget-lifeinnovation/make-your-own-cliff-fly-box-from-bent-rod-media/

I used the box my fly tying kit came in similar to the boxes he purchased, and I took the backing off of three computer mouse pads for the foam which is kinda rubberized and holds a hook very well. I cut it to shape and shot it with spray adhesive worked very well. Now I just need someone to donate enough flies to fill it up :rolleyes:

I can't figure out why b-ass-m went out of way to paint them boxes but I kept mine all clear as they came. LOL

I like them ArtBin boxes, Got 11 of them prolly for less than what it cost for the buggers magnum boat boxes. Just dont drop them on hard pavement tho as they can crack easily. The Bugger branded overpriced boxes are for those far and off with to much money to burn so it leaves the rest of the majority making our own boxes.

I am probably going to paint mine since the only boxes that i could find in the right size at Michaels have a gold script logo that says "Recollections". I may try to take it off with acetone then slap a decal over it instead of painting it.

Read the post, went to Michaels. They were selling 7.5x9" boxes(the measurement of the bottom of an 8x10 box) with the same type of closures as Cliff's for $5.99. Using foam from softtiles.com cut to fit, each box costs about $7 and they look perfect. The boxes are clear on top, which works great for seeing which patterns you have put inside.