Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

The Lengths some Landowners will go to

There are some absolute :angry: @#*&%@$ :angry: out there.

I'm not normally confrontational unless its the wife, but one day I completely lost it brown trouting on a secluded stream and out of a 3mile stretch this guy stops on the opposite bank and tells his dog to jump in right opposite me. ARGHHHH It was over 5 years ago and I'm still getting hot about it thinking back. People like that are what dilutes the gene pool. ARGHHHH

At least it sounds like you guys have some legal clout. Unless criminal damage or assault is part of harrasment here in UK you have more chance of the pope turning Jewish than you have of the anyone doing anything.

lol well hell looks like the fish didnt care :) i would be out there every day with a rain coat with a smiley face on the back just to spite them if it was me while i pursued them legally.

I'd fish naked but I understand fishing harassment I was floating in my tube on the east branch of the augres river when I started getting to this one point my tube started losing air the land owner was up on the bank he shot my tube with a pellet gun he put 3 pellets into my tube and then made the mistake of putting one in my arm he wont shoot that gun again and he ended up doing 90 days for assault and had to pay me for my tube

I have had the total opposite. one year when I was fishing in the chicotin area of british columbia and I was looking for some trail access. a local rancher stopped and asked me if I wanted access to the river. he gave me access to several miles of the Blackwater river which is BCs only rated bluewater trout stream. I was the only one there. all he asked was that I close the gate when I left.

as to the clown with his sprinklers, he should be charged.

marc

Can't believe someone shot at you! Are they paid up PETA nuts who hate fishing or are they just uber anal about 'their' land being accessed when they can't make a buck out of it?

flyderaght - at least there are some genuine people left out there. Problem is when someone calling themselves an angler messes up that type of arrangment for everyone else.

A number of years ago, while looking for a place to use my shorthair and hunt woodcock, I was traveling down a road that was just posted every 100 ft. or so on both sides with posted signs for several miles. This private land paralleled a Public Wildlife Management Area, and therefore was seen by many as an impediment to reaching the public land.

When I reach the house of the landowner, I pulled in, knocked on the door, and hat in hand, politely asked if I could take my dog to hunt a small bottom that was within sight of the house.

The landowner scowled and loudly stated that in the previous 30 years that he had chased hundreds of folks off his land. He told me that his fences and gates broken were regularly down every year, his property trashed, his had been trees cut, his cattle released onto the road and killed, his cattle had been shot, and he had guns pointed at him. He said that he'd often had to call the sheriff, as many of these "sportsmen" were so belligerent.

He then smiled and told me that in all that time, I was the first person to ever stop and ask him for permission to hunt his land. He told me then told me which sections of his property held the most woodcock and gave me permission to hunt his property anytime... As long as I checked with him first, didn't hunt in the pastures containing his cattle, and closed his gates...

what would the sprinkler guy be charged with? illegal sprinkling?

He would be charged with Angler Harassment. Most states DNR take angler harassment very seriously because anglers provide a big source of revenue for the state. Angler harassment is not only a finable offense in minor cases, but in a case such as this where it is a clear cut attempt to not only harass anglers but to prevent them from using public waters the land owner could be arrested because it is also an arrestable offense in more serious situations.

Steve

I'd fish naked but I understand fishing harassment I was floating in my tube on the east branch of the augres river when I started getting to this one point my tube started losing air the land owner was up on the bank he shot my tube with a pellet gun he put 3 pellets into my tube and then made the mistake of putting one in my arm he wont shoot that gun again and he ended up doing 90 days for assault and had to pay me for my tube

Shoot anywhere near me, you won't have to worry about the law....other than your last will and testament :angry:

Murray

A number of years ago, while looking for a place to use my shorthair and hunt woodcock, I was traveling down a road that was just posted every 100 ft. or so on both sides with posted signs for several miles. This private land paralleled a Public Wildlife Management Area, and therefore was seen by many as an impediment to reaching the public land.

When I reach the house of the landowner, I pulled in, knocked on the door, and hat in hand, politely asked if I could take my dog to hunt a small bottom that was within sight of the house.

The landowner scowled and loudly stated that in the previous 30 years that he had chased hundreds of folks off his land. He told me that his fences and gates broken were regularly down every year, his property trashed, his had been trees cut, his cattle released onto the road and killed, his cattle had been shot, and he had guns pointed at him. He said that he'd often had to call the sheriff, as many of these "sportsmen" were so belligerent.

He then smiled and told me that in all that time, I was the first person to ever stop and ask him for permission to hunt his land. He told me then told me which sections of his property held the most woodcock and gave me permission to hunt his property anytime... As long as I checked with him first, didn't hunt in the pastures containing his cattle, and closed his gates...

I've had a similar thing happen to me, it's amazing what common courtesy can do for you, it's always good to ask, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Blane