Fly Tying
Piker20

June Flies from the Vice

Thank you. The white nymph has 3 times caught me fish before the first cast! Just dropped it into the water while I sorted out my line, and a trout has swam over and eaten it.

Cheers,

C.

post-42518-0-83598200-1338914873_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-67906000-1338914900_thumb.jpg

post-42518-0-06689100-1338914925_thumb.jpg

3 small #8 streamers for an old pal to target perch pike and chub this summer into the autumn.

June62012flieswet-n-dry008.jpg

Coming round more and more to longer hackled flies. Make a great profile in the water and look just like little fry. Anyone know a hackle thats gonna reach back past a 1/0 or near that mark? Thought about Spey hackles wondering if it works before I part with pennies.

Lykoss, very fishy flies indeed!

Piker20, not sure if this would ship to UK, it might but it is awesome stuff.

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-plumage-menu.html

A few from the vice, a purple bugger with UV Marabou

post-29540-0-62420300-1339012980_thumb.jpg

A big stack of saltwater pink salmon flies for August

post-29540-0-56901800-1339013018_thumb.jpg

Just a sparse little streamer

post-29540-0-32979700-1339013066_thumb.jpg

Cheers for that link. The Rhea and ostrich spey are available over here in UK so might buy some after seeing the tubes on that site. Definately look the size I'm after. The XL guinea fowl looks awesome.

Thanks for the comments gents. Some very nice stuff being posted here lately (3-4 months), not that the previous stuff wasn't great....maybe I just appreciate it more...pull your foot outta yer mouth Murray... FFJam, one of these days I'll make it back up to "T" town and we'll have to wet a line...maybe up to "cottage country" or a run down to Niagara...

Murray

I agree some very nice patterns being posted in these threads. Keep it up everyone! Kind of a worldwide community which is really nice B)

lykos33, anytime you are near here be sure to let me know and i will jump in the car! Plus you never know, I can see myself visiting the East side in the next few years, been keenly reading 'spawner' magazine from that way. :ph34r:

Just did 3 of these size 8 pink salmon almost 'spey' type flies. Just for the West Coast.

I suspect it is the first 'vice shot' i have ever done.

P6061587.jpg

FishDragon, at first i thought that was some foam board for flies, but it is a cutting board?

Thought about Spey hackles wondering if it works before I part with pennies.

The only thing you need to spend money on for spey hackles is some bleach. I have a bag full of duck body feathers (plucked from a duck given to a friend), and have found goose feathers, while fishing, that can be used. On the school playing fields at the moment there are loads of feathers that will do! I think a bird of prey has defeathered a seagull. This is the method I followed to prepare them.

http://youtu.be/m69-Rt3pjnk

If you want them coloured, place on a piece of scrap card, and colour with a permanent marker.

Is what you are looking to achieve anything like the Irish Dabbler style? Thats just done with unburnt duck (originally bronze mallard) body feathers.

Cheers,

C.

This is not something I do a lot of, but thought I'd have a play last night. A Matuka style streamer.

Matuka.jpg

Cheers,

C.

Thats a good pattern.

It is the dabbler and goat toe look but supersized to 3x or 4x + shank lengths. I wasn't as happy with the duck feathers I had or some turkey I have as the fibres have a tendency to stick together when wrapped if you know what I mean. The peacock neck in the goat toe spreads equally around when wrapped but I can't find any with fibres of the length I'm after. I was going to look at peacock sword but haven't received that yet. Having watched the link I'll have to dig out the mallard and the woodcock I was given and have another look. Also got a whole turkey and some other water fowl somewhere so have to look through and see what I can start to use.

FishDragon, at first i thought that was some foam board for flies, but it is a cutting board?

Yeah it is a cutting board I use for cutting foam and plastic bags on.