Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bhansensfd

Spool Handy bands

I purchased these because I was sick of breaking the rubber bands or having them wear out, on the Maxima tippet spools. These keep the tippet on the spools very well but most of the time when I pull the tippet out it curls and will not straighten. Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to stop this from happening?

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=EW601

I saw these made for thread spools and decided I had to have them...but I'm a cheap S.O.B. :lol: I went to Wally World and got 1/8 inch elastic in the sewing dept. Cut the elastic to a little over length and super glue the ends and 'voila...a cheap old farts version. As far as the curling line, get a piece of leather , fold it and draw the line through it after tying it on. Oh...the bead on the store bought line keepers...totally unnecessary, plain old strap of elastic cloth holds it as well and you never have to worry about the line slipping back through the bead..

Murray

the coiling of the tippet has nothing to do with the bands that holds the tippet material in place

it has to do with the tippet being wound onto a spool

just pull of a length of tippet an give it a stretch between your hands. that will straighten it out

tippet tamers are easy to make

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2011/03/workshop-tippet-tamers.html

the coiling of the tippet has nothing to do with the bands that holds the tippet material in place

it has to do with the tippet being wound onto a spool

just pull of a length of tippet an give it a stretch between your hands. that will straighten it out

tippet tamers are easy to make

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2011/03/workshop-tippet-tamers.html

When I dont pull the tippet through the bead and just use them as big rubber bands the tippet comes off straight, and is what I have been doing since having the curling issue. I have tried stretching it and also tried a leather line straightener and it still has a curl to it. I dont get it.

When I dont pull the tippet through the bead and just use them as big rubber bands the tippet comes off straight,

then i think that answers your question

go to your local big box or dollar store and get the stretchy bands girls use for pony tails

i use the tippet tamers and the tippet comes out straight

i let the spool rotate between thumb and finger while pulling out tippet

I made some very similar to what is shown in the link, for my Maxima spools. This really solved my biggest gripe about Maxima, which is the material coming loose and making a mess. I haven't noticed any extra curling. I noticed in the Feather Craft link they only show one size. I wonder if they are too tight on the larger Maxima spool, requiring excess tension to remove the material? Also I only use Maxima for Steelhead leaders in 8 lb and up. Maybe the problem shows up in smaller sizes?

I made some very similar to what is shown in the link, for my Maxima spools. This really solved my biggest gripe about Maxima, which is the material coming loose and making a mess. I haven't noticed any extra curling. I noticed in the Feather Craft link they only show one size. I wonder if they are too tight on the larger Maxima spool, requiring excess tension to remove the material? Also I only use Maxima for Steelhead leaders in 8 lb and up. Maybe the problem shows up in smaller sizes?

I have only noticed the problem with the 1, 2, or 3lbs tippet. Maybe they are the incorrect size. I didnt think of that and will try the other size next time I am at the shop. I appreciate everyones suggestion and inputs.

I wonder if they are too tight on the larger Maxima spool, requiring excess tension to remove the material?

If you make your own, you can make them any size you need. I use the 1/4 inch wide elastic and make them to fit on my spooled tying materials, such as thread, wire, tinsel, etc., as well as on my tippet spools, and the spools of 50# mono that I often use. This solves the problem of so many spools of such materials made today do not have a notch in one side to lock the end into.

I have found that DUCO cement works as well as CA for a glue. It works much faster than CA and is not as 'messy' to work with; AND, you do not glue the beads and elastic to your fingers!

The clothesline/fabric notch in a spring type clothes pin works great as a gluing clamp while the glue sets.

Cheers!

The girls hair bobbles are great cause they take a lot to snap, need no DIY, come in variety of colours so you can colour code your spools to grab a breaking strain from a bag without having to look at the labels.