Fly Tying
lee.hinkleman

Wonder Wax

Overton's Wonder Wax has been unavailable for several years. Does anyone know contact details for Glenn Overton? (I couldn't find his Libby, Montana, phone number from directory assistance)

Thanks.

I took a block of clear tying wax, put it in a tumbler (big shot glass) with a tablespoon of Barbour wax - the stuff for treating wax jackets.

Put it in a pan of boiling water for a while till it all goes liquid.

kiddies do dot try this at home blink.gif

Get a few lipstick tubes and fill them with this mixture and you have a lifetime supply of wax, tacky as you like it, as you define the tackiess by the amount of soft wax

If you dont like it, put it back in the glass and change it

Thanks, Roy.

I've tried hard beeswax and softer 'white, refined' beeswax, melted with violinist's bow rosin. The result was rock-candy texture, so I added some paraffin oil. The result is ok, but too waxy and not tacky enough. I persuaded a pulp-and-paper mill analytical chemist to send me some 'tall oil', the raw by-product of the 'Kraft' paper pulp process. Some tall oil, melted into the mixture is tackier, and works quite well, but it smells like hydrogen sulphide(etc). I'll keep trying, because I wanted to add a wax that I like to my flyshop, taupo.com/flyshop. If I could find Overton, I'd just ask him to send me a case of his wax but, if I can't find him, I still want to try to make it.

Lee check out FAOL, there's a recipe or two there from Marvin Nolte, I'm not sure on the patents, if commercial, you'd need to check that one for yourself.

Roy

Re: Overton's Wax, I saw a tube that went for $25 on ebay!!! I really like that stuff, but not that much!

A suggestion I heard but have not tried, is to melt a wax toilet seating ring (NEW, NOT USED!), in the container in the boiling water method outline above, and pour it inot the vessel of your choice (lipstick/chapstick twist-up, or whatever you prefer). If someone has tried this, how tacky is the wax?

John

Hooligan:

Have not tried it but look at my post link above. The method is in there. I did set a toilet the other day and of course had to do it twice to get it right. I can see how that stuff would be excellent. $ .99 for a ring at Home Depot.

T

I still have a tube of Overton's which I use on occasion---I also have a small bottle of Veniards Liquid Wax (now that's old stuff) still good---but I have been using a stick a( 6" X 3" rd) of old Yellow Klister wax---that I used on my X-ctry skis years before the waxless ski arrived on the scene. By and far that's better than anything else I have ever used over the last 60+ years and at the rate I use it up, it will be in my estate settlement. laugh.gif

Hooligan Re: Overton's Wax, I saw a tube that went for $25 on ebay!!! I really like that stuff, but not that much!

That was me. Sure alot of $'s for wax, but thats all I have been using for the last twenty five years, and cant find anything that I like as much. I just missed another tube on e-bay, sold for under $11.00. Rumor has it that Overton is going to start making the stuff again, time will tell.

PS. nice board, today was my first time here

Tony,

I saw the $11 tube, also. I have a tube of Overton that's lasted me about 15 years. Good stuff.

John

Hello, everyone!! I'm David Overton. Glenn Overton was my father and the owner of Overton's Wonder Wax. If you need some wax, please email me I have about a case of the stuff. I want to start up the business again, but trying to find a investor, and seeing if the product will boom is another question. If you have any questons about Overton's Products, please email me at [email protected] and I'll give you a prompt honest response!!

Thanks everyone for your time..David Overton

David-

Welcome to the board. Thanks for the reply.

Overton's is truly one of the great products in the tying world.

I'd appreciate your emailing me regarding a possible listing in the Trading Post; would like to chat briefly beforehand.

Thanks.

Welcome to the board. Thanks for the generous offer. Sure you'll find plenty who'll email you (mine is already sent biggrin.gif). Hope you find a distributor. Heard nothing but good things about it.