Fly Tying
Robert M

What to tie on 32's

So I have been gifted (cursed?)with some 28 and 32 dry fly hooks any suggestions on what to tie on them?

Obviously deer hair bugs and poppers are out and seeing as the smallest I have tied to date is a 22 this ought to be interesting to say the least.

Griffith Gnats and simple hackle flies. If you don't have small enough hackle, cut the hackle off the bottom. Hackle stacker patterns are also good down this small. Miracle Midges (just thread and wire rib,) are another good midge. Add a tiny bit of white an-tron for gills, for a midge pupae.

So I have been gifted (cursed?)with some 28 and 32 dry fly hooks any suggestions on what to tie on them?

Obviously deer hair bugs and poppers are out and seeing as the smallest I have tied to date is a 22 this ought to be interesting to say the least.

Chironomids. Sulky glitter thread in size 21 for a tapered body, a few overlapping wraps to form the head and ostrich herl fibers for gills. Get 'em down with a micro split shot..

Damn, rw in size 32??? I cant even pick up a hook that little with my hands. Thats impressive.

Just getting them in the vise is going to be a challenge, big fingers little hooks not so great up close eyes sheesh

Robert,

I have a friend, Skip Shorb, who lives in Arkansas and ties with a bunch of us at the Southern Federation of Fly Fishers' Conclave in October and the Sowbug Round-Up in Mountain Home, Arkansas. At the Conclave a couple of years ago, I walked in and Skip was tying something really small; all I could see was a tiny red dot. I asked him why he was tying so tiny, and he said, "Ray, I just want to show people I can do it." He was tying 32's and did so for 3 days though out the entire Conclave. I would have gone blind!!

Ray

Robert,

He was tying 32's and did so for 3 days though out the entire Conclave. I would have gone blind!!

Ray

I can understand that after looking at these hooks.