Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
angelo24

Finally order my fly tying kit

Finally order my fly tying kit, It's supposed to be here on sept, 4th I'am very excited to start tying. But the hardest part is the waiting part. When I tie my 1st basic fly I will post it on here.

Welcome to fly tying!. I would find a large room and a kitchen table to set up on. I have been tying for 50 years and about 25 draws of tying materials. Plus I have a tying bag for on the road. Just grab and go. Fly tying is s great stress reliever. To save money you can get a lot of materials( yarns,braid etc.) from Hobby Lobby and places like that. Any questions, this is the place for answers. :D

I will have plenty of question's eventually down the line right now I'am just looking for a decent book to purchase. I heard the the Charlie Craven Basic Fly Tying Book is very good.

I haven't read too much in the way of beginning or basic fly tying books in the last 20 or 25 years, but I did get a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic book from the library. From what I can see its is an excellent basic guide. It's only drawback is that it exclusively devoted to trout flies. Understandable given that Charlie lives and runs a fly shop in Arvada Colorado, which is trout country. Its well worth the read.

I was taught only trout flies when I learned, but the techniques and processes are all interchangeable with other styles of flies and would be a good place to start to get your skills developed.

some trout unlimited chapters offer a free fly tying class. I know of one close to me that gives away a free vise, tools and materials if you complete the class that consists of 3 classes 3 hours each. Plus you get to learn some of the basic flies.

I don't trout fish much, only times are during the stocking's (spring and winter). I mainly fish for Bluegill's and Bass, Bluegill's will take a number of trout flies even some Bass that I've caught. It just weird on how some big fish will take the littlest fly.

This Bass took a #16 Royal Wuff

I don't trout fish much, only times are during the stocking's (spring and winter). I mainly fish for Bluegill's and Bass, Bluegill's will take a number of trout flies even some Bass that I've caught. It just weird on how some big fish will take the littlest fly.

This Bass took a #16 Royal Wuff

post-43662-0-10609200-1346739963_thumb.jpg