Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KayTs Flies

Squid Tie

Ive been playing around on the vice again when I have the time. I got a request for some saltwater flies that I had no idea where to go with. Ive never fished saltwater or anything like that so Im going off of research from books magazines and the internet. If anyone has any ideas on improvement please let me know. Thank you for your input.

Brian

post-43737-0-11745100-1346804356_thumb.jpg

I am not a saltwater fisherman nor have I ever seen a squid fly either. i think your creation is very cool and very realistic, I think it would be great for whatever you can catch on a squid, lol.

I am not a saltwater fisherman nor have I ever seen a squid fly either. i think your creation is very cool and very realistic, I think it would be great for whatever you can catch on a squid, lol.

There are a lot of salt fly fishers and tiers on here and I do believe you will be getting some good reviews on your squid from them. I don't tie them or fish them (not much call for them in Atlantic Canada) but I have seen quite a few on here and other forums. Yours are going to be catchers!

Murray

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate your words of encouragement. I will try to track some of the "old salts" down and see what they think. I personally have only been saltwater fishing 2-3 times but I received a request for something to use on the flats and I accepted the challenge. The finished product is shown. Needless to say, the person who issued the challenge was very impressed. I was just wondering what you all thought. Thanks again and Tight Lines.

Having had considerable 'hands-on' experience with the small Bay Squid of the Gulf Coast, your fly is an EXCELLENT representation! It should produce outstanding results in the water.

Cheers!

Brian, there are as many squid patterns as there are fly tyers, and yours appears to be a good one. Most of them work just fine, as do a number of simpler patterns like crystal buggers, bunny flies, etc. Is that a keel hook? I've never seen a squid tied upside down before.

Everyone thanks for the information. I appreciate all of your input. Peterjay, it is a keel hook. number two mustad. The person who asked for a squid pattern wanted it, how do i put it lightly, Heavy Duty. To say the least I think its a sturdy fly. Thanks again for all your input. I dont have much to go on as far as saltwater baits go so im stuck googling a pic and trying my best to recreate it on the vise. Good luck everyone and Tight Lines.

It'll definately catch cause the leggy bits give great movement. It would be a great fly for pike twitched along the bottom.

Always appreciate squid flies tied in the opposite spectrum from which I tie. Yours looks like it is lit up which could represent a feeding or scared squid (nice). If you get a chance to cast it at a of shore weed line holding fish like dolphin or tripletail; be sure to try it. You will be surprised how much these fish like a juvenile squid.