Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gunprofessor

Fly Tier and Fisherman...Southern Idaho

Greetings from Idaho. I have been haunting this forum for a short time getting tons of great info and opinions. Have been tying off and on for about 20 years, mostly off. and fishing for about the same time frame. I am nowhere near good but can get by at the bench. Looking forward to tips, and recipes as well as some good banter.

Welcome to the forum Professor. If you're looking for banter, you've come to the right place. Just be careful of the saltwater section - those guys are a bunch of dangerous deviants and are best avoided. :ph34r: Fortunately, there's no salt water in Idaho, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Hope you enjoy the site.

Thank you for the welcome. I have already checked out the fly database and looked over a few poll questions. Thanks for the advise on the salty bunch. Unfortunately I know eventually I will get sucked in even there as I dream about casting to the saltwater variety from time to time. Mainly I fish the south fork of the Boise and the lower stretch of the Malad river. I have an interest in trying to target Carp around Strike and in the Snake. I look forward to meeting a few interesting people here and learning a lot.

Chuck

Chuck, I've fished the South Fork many times and the Middle Fork as well. The Middle Fork fly fishing stretch was just getting established while I was there. (20 years ago) I still have nightmares about driving that canyon road into the Middle Fork. :( I've got an eight-pound wild brown on my wall that I caught in Boise itself. We had some great trout fishing while we were out there. BTW - some of the nicest tarpon flies I've seen were done by Dave Tucker when he was running Streamside Adventures in Boise. Dave is one heck of a fly tyer.

Chuck, welcome to the forums! Keep your eye on that Peterjay fellow, he's at the top of the list when it comes to dangerous deviants! :lol:

Chuck, I've fished the South Fork many times and the Middle Fork as well. The Middle Fork fly fishing stretch was just getting established while I was there. (20 years ago) I still have nightmares about driving that canyon road into the Middle Fork. :( I've got an eight-pound wild brown on my wall that I caught in Boise itself. We had some great trout fishing while we were out there. BTW - some of the nicest tarpon flies I've seen were done by Dave Tucker when he was running Streamside Adventures in Boise. Dave is one heck of a fly tyer.

I know that stretch of road to the middle fork pretty well and I don't like it either...would much rather go over James Creek Summit instead. Try it at night responding to an emergency...that really sucks. I have heard there is some pretty good fishing through town but have never tried it. I might give it a go this next spring and summer.

Chuck, welcome to the forums! Keep your eye on that Peterjay fellow, he's at the top of the list when it comes to dangerous deviants! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up...I'll keep my eye on him...lol.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Peterjay ... dangerous deviants ... he's just jealous hes never hooked into a monster Redfish OTF

Hey, GunProfessor ... welcome to the site. Let me warn you that, with the exception of myself ... ANYONE who posts on this site can be considered a dangerous deviant. Like I said, though, I am the exception .... where's that darn smiley with the halo? I'm gonna kill tha gee, I wonder where it is!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Peterjay ... dangerous deviants ... he's just jealous hes never hooked into a monster Redfish OTF

Jeez, it's a good thing I'm in therapy, or I might start thinking somebody's out to get me. :ph34r: As far as monster reds go, I'm gonna do what the rest of you poseurs do: find somebody who's caught one on bait and pay the guy to let me hold it and take my picture. I'd bet half of you clowns don't even own a fly rod.

;)

Peter you know I heard SCOwens keeps a redfish in his aquarium and feeds it everyday then he pulls it out and poses with it when he says he went fishing and his gear is rented from a guy with a questionable past :lol:

I thought the background in all of Scott's pictures looked like a poster I saw in Spencer's.

Yeah, you'd think he'd at least change the background once in a while, but you have to make allowances for the poor souls who come out of the South Carolina Low Country. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is considered a documentary down there, if you get my drift. ;)