Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Markbob

Teaching kids to fly fish

I somewhat doubt that what I am looking for is out there anywhere but I have to ask anyhow. Does anyone know of a good reference such as a book or magazine article or something to that effect that provides instruction, direction or pointers on how to teach young kids to fly fish? I am currently trying (with little success) to teach my 6yo to fish.

Type "fly fishing for kids" into Amazon.com, there are several book available. My brothers started me on a fly rod with a long leader and a salmon egg, (that was way before catch and release). The casting came when I was about 9 or 10 along with tying. I started my granddaughter on muddlers for blue gill in water where she could watch the fly. There are some tools available to teach casting, I have seen them at my local fly shop. Good luck B)

Markbob,

Like fishingbobnelson, I started out with a fly rod, short leader, split shot, salmon eggs and worms on streams on the East side of the Sierras...I started Fly Fishing in 1975 after reading Ray Bergman's "Trout", on a business trip to Ireland.

With my two youngest children, I started them out with powerbait on lakes, then the salmon eggs and worms in those same creeks I fished as a kid - with my Dad...This is the method I used to interest Michael and Ally in fishing with a fly:

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/pppties-that-bind/

All I can say, from my experience. is that it worked...

MICHAELALLYMADISON_2_.jpg

Michael and Ally on the Madison River...Ally reviews her brother's nymphing technique...

My whole BLOG is pretty much about my outdoor experiences with my kids and what trip it has been and continues to be :)

PT/TB

Mark the best advice I can offer is to start the children catching before going into the whole fishing aspect. I started my daughter out the same way my dad did me. Worms and a bobber fishing for bluegills kids have short attention span bluegills feed constantly which keep the kids busy and interested my daughter now is 15 though she hasn't picked up the longrod much is still my favorite fishing buddy.

I agree with Paul. I've never seen a six-year-old yet with the coordination to handle a fly rod, and all he's gonna remember is that it's difficult. Starting out with some worms and a bobber might get the kid interested, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't. If he wants to fish, he'll pick it up on his own at some point when he sees how much fun you're having. Kids have a lot of interests to explore before they settle into the ones they enjoy. My grown daughter is one heck of an angler, but she came to it when she wanted to.

Couldn't agree more with Peterjay. You can't get a kid interested in ANYTHING until he/she wants to try it. I've seen parents be very aggressive in trying to get a kid into not just flyfishing, but other things as well; it doesn't work.

For older kids (11 up) a pretty good intro to flyfishing is the Boy Scout Merit Badge book. It's actually written pretty well (folks like Joan Wulff, Fly Fishing Magazine, etc., contributed to it). About $3-4 at your local Scout Council shop. Check the phone book to find out where that is.

I have 2 sons (adults now) that never got interested in fishing, let alone flyfishing. That certainly doesn't make them bad boys. So don't be too distressed if you don't achieve the results you're looking for right away.

Good luck!

Curtis Creek Manifesto.

I think this book has been put together to teach the basics of fly-fishing to almost any age...I find it even teaches old pros quite often as well. With it's cartoon styling and simple descriptions mixed with low-brow humor it has appeal to most ages. But i think 6 years old is still several years too young. You might try basic casting technique to teach the kid's muscles but they just are not able to focus at that age to learn much more than that. Give them time to grow into it and just spend some time helping them with bait fishing untill they show signs of wanting to learn more...you will be less apt to have the kid rebel and decide they never want to fish again if you keep it light, easy and fun.