Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

Spinnin' Dragons!

Some clouds have been rollin in over the local bass pond lately, and because of that, the dragonflies are flying lower. So I tied up some quick foam dragonflies and damsels with krystal flash wings for the first time and tossed them out there. They were workin great on the bass and crappie, until I noticed a problem. The darn fly kept popping off the leader for no reason, then I saw the leader after a few casts... and it was a freakin birdnest! I know that it has something to do with the wings. So, what should I do to fix it, more pliable wings, less material, etc?<BR><BR><BR>Thank You and Tight Lines,<BR>Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-61626300-1350184978_thumb.jpg

Nice fly, I have tied dragonflies before but never thought about putting a hi-vis piece of foam on top to make it more visible. Since mine are a bright blue ive never had difficulties seeing them.

As for the wings I have done 2 variations so far:

I have put krystal flash wings with a little of deer hair, and I have also made them out of krystal flash with a strip of zip-loc bag in there (I have also tied X wing patterns with the sandwich bag approach as well)

both seem to work well and I havent had problems with my knots. My dragonflies did have a longer and thinner body than the one in your picture though, maybe that has something to do with it ? Flying straighter and wobbling less ? IDK, you guys tell me...

what size leader are you using?

I doubt the flexible nature of Krystal flash would make your leader a birds nest

"until I noticed a problem. The darn fly kept popping off the leader for no reason, then I saw the leader after a few casts... and it was a freakin birdnest! I know that it has something to do with the wings. "

Knot problem?

Have to ask the same as flytire. I use a similar pattern. Use minimum .28mm tippet of 8 or 9 feet length. I also caught plenty of fish on a wingless version. Used a good buggy dubbing body to give the leggy look. Also try with knotted PT legs.

Its definately not a knot problem, because I was using the Trilene Knot, which is my go to knot and I have been tying it for years, even before I was fly fishing. Flytire, I was using a .20 mm tippet which was where most of the problems occurred. But I think now that the problem was due to the extended body, which acted as a rudder in the wind and spun the fly...

Just a thought....could your fly be spinning in flight causing twist in your mono leader?

I can't say what is causing your particular issue, but I've experienced something similar with upright winged mayflies I've tied with wings from J:sons of Sweden. The flies I've tied with the J:sons wings look great (to me) and are effective, but they "helicopter" during the casts and cause the leader to twist quite a lot.

J:sons now sells a plastic swivel designed to attach to the leader, at least I think it's some type of plastic... The swivel supposively alleviates the leader twist problem. This might be worth a try.

It's not due to the body, (as long as it is straight and not curved) it's due to the horizontal wings. anything sticking out the sides of a fly like that will make it spin like a propeller during the cast. Use a heavy tippet and a swivel as has already been suggested. It won't eliminate the twist but it will help. Eagle Claw Lazer swivels can be bought which are PLENTY small enough for fly fishing and they work as well as anything.

Just a thought....could your fly be spinning in flight causing twist in your mono leader?

That was the exact problem!:blink:

I don't really know why it is, but I'll start with the extended body and maybe get some damsel braid...

Thanks for the reply JSzymczyk. I tied a couple of damsels this summer but have yet to tie them on a tippet. I used the same material for the wings and I bet they will twist the leader as well. They sure look good though.

Im 100% sure the fish dont notice the wings. so long as the thorax area is buggy enough or you tie in some pheasant tail legs they work great. At least on UK rainbows, carp, and occasional browns.

Nice dragon pattern Carson, I bet that drives the bass crazy.

JS is right, a tiny swivel would be your best bet.

Also, try to keep false casts to a minimum. I tend to false cast way too much when I'm fishing dries (to shed water), and it's unnecessary with most foam flies.

Do you guys think a loop knot would make a difference?....that's something I've always pondered but never put to the test.

For my bass fishing, until I started using furled leaders about three years ago, I had not used anything other than a piece of 12-17lb test monofilament about 7-9 feet long for both leader and tippet for over 20 years, and I caught my fair share of bass! As noted, it is the wings causing the fly to 'propeller'(i.e., spin)while being cast. The heavier line I use tends to resist twisting during the process. Even with my furled leaders,I use the very same mono for my tippets, 2-4 feet of 12-17lb mono. No problems. As a "side-bar", 12-15 lb test Spider Wire makes a GREAT leader/tippet, and will turn over a brick!

We are not trout fishing; so, a delicate presentation is not critical! If it were, we would NOT use popping bugs, etc.

Give this a try and see if it solves the problem.

Cheers!