Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

55g Mbuna project (Yes tanks #2) !!!

I would like to do some live plants but Cichlids are notorious for eating plants. So I think I may consider doing a couple silk plants in this 2nd tank. Silk look much more realistic than plastic since it moves with the water flow and has a more natural appearance than plastic one.

Added some rocks this evening. Went with some contrasting colors in this one, mostly lava rock and a few other different colored rocks. Probably will add a few more once I get ready to fill the sand in it....

rocksj.jpg

I would like to do some live plants but Cichlids are notorious for eating plants. So I think I may consider doing a couple silk plants in this 2nd tank. Silk look much more realistic than plastic since it moves with the water flow and has a more natural appearance than plastic one.

Yeah those Cichlids are diggers hey, aggressive bastards too so it is great you have such a large tank. Don't be surprised when you start to get things like hydra growing on your decorations :) Awesome.

Now that I got a few rods out of the way back to this project. Trip to Home Depot today to get wood and materials for building the canopy for this one. I had said to myself that I would not build a canopy for this one but I never can just leave well enough alone it seems. So built this one in about 3 hours of work this evening. Still have some trim work then sanding and staining but it all fits and came out pretty well.

canopy1.jpg

canopy2.jpg

Did this one so the majority of the top opens up for easy access.

canopy3.jpg

No fish in the first tank, so I am not looking. Somebody told me the top is looking pretty good, though.

Another trip to Lowes/Home Depot tonight. They always know when I'm working on a new project because I'm there 4-5 times a week when I am lol. Finished up the canopy tonight and got it stained and 3 coats of polyurethane on it. (BTW it closes nice and flush but theres a cord holding up the one end in the picture ;)

canopy4.jpg

Also working on the stand. I'm using the metal stand for it that I bought with the tank but I decided it needed to match my other aquarium better so I decided to build a wood stand facade so basically it is going to be just a wood shell 1/4" oak sheeting that is attached with industrial strength velcro and sides into a lip on the corner. Once stained to match the canopy it will look nice in the same room with the other tank and stand. Once the trim is on it it will hide the fact that it is just a shell when it is done.

canopy5.jpg

Then I started messing around with the lighting tonight. Lots of wiring and repositioning to do but this is the idea I was mentioning about the combination of blue LED moonlights and Yellow/Orange lighting to give it about an hour of sunset before it goes to full blue moonlights. Once the new Cold Cathodes get here tomorrow and it's all positioned it will look much better but this pic will give you a brief idea of what I'm shooting for.

canopy6.jpg

Cold Cathode lights as well as 48" Odessya T5 lights came today...

Cold cathodes mounted behind tank...

lights1.jpg

Tank in place in front of the cold cathodes...

lights2a.jpg

Overhead T5 lights on...

lights3k.jpg

Cabinet facade is all done, just have to urethane it tomorrow. The whole front of the cabinet pulls right off it's Velcro mounts to provide full access to filters and equipment underneath it. Picked up some pure white sand as well as about 30 more lbs in rocks today. Just have to finish the side panels of the rock background, hook up the filter with some new hoses, finish up the sunset lighting mounts, silicone in the background once and for all, then it'll be ready to fill with water and start cycling.

cabinet1w.jpg

Whooo Hooo !!!! Color !!!

I am loving this tank ... I mean, if I was looking, which I am not I'd probably love this tank.