Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mvendon

What Is This?

This may seem lame, but I don't know what the correct name of this bag is. It came from Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in May, of 2002. I have a bunch of catalogs from that place and it's not in any of them, or online. It's a canvas bag and the zippered lid is flipped up in the picture. The fly's are for Tarpon. The yard stick is to gauge the size. I've tried Googleing quite a few name combinations and have come up with zip. If someone here knows what the correct name is I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-79518000-1351976623_thumb.jpg

Unsure of the exact name but I know its to have your leaders ready when you need them .... since those Tarpon do take TONS of line when they decide to run (EVERYTIME)

They are called Tarpon Stretchers. They hold the fly by the hook and stretch the shock tippet to hold it straight. I remember selling those a long time ago.

It is used for shock tippets and other type of tippets as well (I am unsure of which). For some reason, according to my rudimentary understanding, some tippets need to be stored while being stretched out ? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

According to this site it is called a fly stretcher. You can find these in some sites under the Specialty Fly Boxes section.

http://www.hellotrade.com/angler-sport-group/fly-boxes-fly-stretcher.html

They are used to hold the heavy (60 to 100#)shock tippets straight with the fly already rigged. If you roll up the these shock tippets, they will require straightening when you change flies. Using this type of box, a days worth of flies can be tied up and ready for quicker changes. Could be used for any big fish flies where these types of tippets are used.

Several years ago Mark Sosin had a TV fishing show. He used a plastic box similar to the plano lure boxes that he rigged up to keep his bite tippets straight. As I recall he used some kind of clip that clamped the end of the mono and it seems that the other end was held by an elastic loop to 'streach' the tippet. It has been several years and my details are blurred so may be inaccurate.

Glad you mentioned Mark since I worked for him as a "camera boat" operator almost sixteen years ago... for just three or four days, mind you. He was a great guy to work for when I was just coming back to guiding in 1996.

At any rate here's the deal with stretchers.... These days you'll find very few on the water since the need for them just doesn't exist the way it once did. Back in the day before fluorocarbon leader material was commonly available we were all stuck with monofilament for shock tippets. This was of no consequence with lighter shockers (more properly called "bite tippets")but a big, big problem with heavy mono (60lbs on up...). Many, many years ago everyone used 100lb mono, then as fish became more spooky it went down to 80 (today there are those that will go down to 40lb to get the bite - and worry about the consequences after that tarpon of a lifetime is on the hook, just to get the bite). Heavy mono is just too "curly" when used as a bite tippet.... Your only recourse is to rig your leaders and tie the flies to them well in advance, then place the heavy mono portion in a stretcher. I've seen every kind of stretcher you can imagine from quick, homemade, to some that were hand crafed works of functional art... The only anglers that ever needed a stretcher are those using heavy bite tippets (tarpon or offshore anglers mostly). The downside to using a stretcher is that your flies begin to age and if the stretcher is exposed to sunlight quite a bit the colors will begin to fade as well as the hooks begin to rust (ask me how I know....).

As a result of all the hassles (not to mention finding storage space....)of using a stretcher most were very pleased when fluorocarbon came along. Everyone that used the stuff quicly learned that one of its chief virtues is that it had little or no memory. You could tie up an 80 or 100lb shocker to a fly then simply pull the leader tight and hold it under tension for a moment or two and all the "curl" or coiling present simply disappeared.... Voila/// no stretcher needed (and for the tippet itself Mason Hard mono had the same ability to lose its memory when stretched out for just a moment or two..). Can you guess what all my quick change leaders are made of?

The bottom line now is that you'll find an occasional new or used tarpon stretcher on the market, and they make great conversation or decorative pieces, but the real need for one just doesn't exist anymore. I still have two of them somewhere but can't remember when they were last on board my skiff (even when the tarpon are hot and we're bringing back-up rods since we expect to break a rod or two that day...).

tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Tried a Tarpon Strecher back in the mid 70's, found it to be more hassle than what it was worth, but I will say some fortunate fly fisherman mayed a little payola from its creation.

Thanks for the facts on floro. I had no idea though I doubt that I will ever need heavy bite tippets. I may try to round up some 40# floro just in case. So what bite tippet does one use for toothy critters such as barracuda? Steel wire?

You've got several choices for toothy critters... The first and easiest is just to tie up your flies on a long shank hook (the Mustad 34011 is probably the most common) and then take your chances. The next step up is a very short trace of wire (either single strand - which I prefer or multi-strand which most anglers use). The problem with wire is that many really sharp toothed fish are also very sharp eyed.... and a wire bite tippet is just too noticable (even when using #2 wire). The only fish that aren't shy of wire leaders are sharks (and you could get a big shark to eat a beer can once he's fired up..).

We do quite well with mackeral on nothing but popping bugs, losing maybe one in three to cut-offs (and that's with no bite tippet at all), some flies survive a toothy attack better than others. Clousers, Deceivers, and most other really great baitfish patterns don't fare well at all when the fish have sharp teeth. Usually the first indicator that you're in that kind of situation is when you realize you don't have a fly anymore (the bite is so quick and clean that you won't even feel a thing...).

Mark Sosin's book on knots (by Sosin and Kreh, I believe) has a great pictorial for anyone wanting to learn how to attach a wire bite tippet with either multi or single strand wire, by the way.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Thanks for the response Cpt. Bob....I don't care for the multi-strand wire either. I did happen to buy some of that new wire that one can tie normal knots with. I was shocked at the price of that stuff though. I didn't ask the price, I just bought it.

Many years ago I was walking on the beach in south FL while on vacation and came upon a barracuda skull. Out of curiosity, I reached down and picked it up and sliced my finger pretty good. I was amazed how sharp the teeth were. I would not think that even heavy floro would hold up against those kind of chompers.