Fly Tying
terrymiller1973

Popper Foam

I know that this has been discussed many times. My question is has anyone ever tried the EVA foam that is used in making Fishing Rod handles. The blank form seems to be a decent size for the money but I wanted to know if anyone had used it or tried it before I buy it and wait the month to get here. This is what I am talking about.

EVA Foam

I have not had the chance to use any. But you should be able to find the same foam for a fair amount cheaper. That seems pretty cheap. Dense eva foam should be fairly easy to come by.

Kind of hard to turn Rod handles out of flip-flops ... but no, I don't think they are the same foam. My Flip-Flop poppers don't seem to hold up as well as my foam handled rods. I don't have any fly rods with foam handles and I am not sure it would stand up to the constant dry casting motions. I love the foam handle spinning rods ... but I don't know if it would be good for fly rods.

Flip flops are made from a variety of materials such as foam, rubber, plastic, leather, etc. Whether they are the same or not, they make great poppers. However, Peter's suggestion is a good one too.

Kirk

Thank you for all of the recommendations guys. The reason that I asked about this is it is one of the places I order from and wanted to know if anyone had tried it or thought it would work. With me working and living in Kosovo everything has to be ordered in and takes about a month to get here. I really wish it was a simple as running to the corner store to pick something up to try.

This might be a total beginner question, but how do you cut the foam? I assume you're only doing blockheads and not tube/cones. I'd love to learn more about this because those precut popper bodies are EXPENSIVE.

I use a hole punch to cut them out of a flip-flop.A set of hole punches can be purchased at Harbor Freight for cheap.I put the desired size punch in a drill press.The spinning punch takes only a second to cut through the flip-flop.Next, I put the foam cylinder in a fixture that I made from wood. A large needle is used to keep the cylinder in place and also creates a hole for rubber legs.The fixture allows me to cut the front face at a consistent 18 degrees and taper the top rear section.Google Krebs popper and fixture.

Have you ever had one of those moments when you realize you just don't have a clue what the conversation is about? I pipe up on this thread, thinking it was about rod handles ... not popper bodies. blink.gif

I saw the thread title, "popper foam".

I read the first post ... but I didn't SEE the first post. I read what I thought I saw ... unsure.gif. So, everybody who has looked at this thread, forget what I said.

to cut foam for poppers i use a copper plumbing fitting that i got at canadian tire for 99 cents aand sharpened on the belt sander. then i just turn it a couple times and push the piece out with a pemcil