Fly Tying
dawgvet

Uses for snowshoe rabbit foot hair?

Just bought my first pair of snowshoe rabbit feet and was wondering what all patterns I can use it for. I bought it to use as wings on emergers such as Rosenbauer's Rabbits Foot Emerger. I was interested in what all other patterns it was useful in.

Thanks

Jed

easily the most well known is The Usual

snow show hare is amazing material. great for upright wings. good as a body material.

good as a tail- you can substitute it for cdc in a lot of cases. a good many dry flies use it.

I really like it for Wulff series dry flies in the sizes 10 and under. Also, winging down wing, caddis flies... The shorter fluff makes great dubbing.

I have even seen some dyed examples recently in grey and rust/brown. Now where did put them?

Rocco

Hi Jed,

Just useing Rosenbauer's Rabbits foot emerger as a base, you can cover a huge range of bugs for most of the season. Adjust hook sizes, sub different colored turkey biots for dubbed bodies. Snowshoe comes in quite a few colors, so you can adjust the wing color as well. Use different furs for in front of the wing too, depending on what you want to immitate and what size they are. I've been useing that pattern for more than ten years now. I usually tie them on TMC 2487 or 2488 hooks.

Another one that works well is Cannon's Bunny Dun.

Regards,

Mark

Snowshoe rabbit as parachute hackle in a caddis

8689552021_2f4b42026e_b.jpg

Snowshoe rabbit used as a loop wing in a caddis emerger (can also be used as a loop wing in a may fly emerger)

8704664821_9d126ba231_b.jpg

Snowshoe rabbit used as hackle/legs in a caddis swimming pupa

8705783108_f311c57689_b.jpg

I think you can use Snowshoe rabbit in lots of other patterns as well :-)

Terje

Just bought my first pair of snowshoe rabbit feet and was wondering what all patterns I can use it for. I bought it to use as wings on emergers such as Rosenbauer's Rabbits Foot Emerger. I was interested in what all other patterns it was useful in.

Thanks

Jed

Here are a couple of highly effective flies with snowshoe; enjoy!

TC