Fly Tying
Skiperie

Fly Tying Class Camera

Our Club is considering purchasing a Camera similar to the one in the link to aid us at The Va for tying classes through Project Healing Waters... I saw one in use at an event earlier this year and it worked awesome... They had it hooked directly to a Television in front of the class and everyone could see it real well while the instructor was tying a fly... It showed every thread wrap ...

If you have used one can you recommend a certain model> We are planning on using it on a 42" Flat panel..

http://ken-a-vision.com/cameras/910-171-102

Our Club is considering purchasing a Camera similar to the one in the link to aid us at The Va for tying classes through Project Healing Waters... I saw one in use at an event earlier this year and it worked awesome... They had it hooked directly to a Television in front of the class and everyone could see it real well while the instructor was tying a fly... It showed every thread wrap ...

If you have used one can you recommend a certain model> We are planning on using it on a 42" Flat panel..

What's your budget?

I use a Canon EOS 500D digital SLR with a 60mm Macro lens and extension tube. It has HD video function. Attached to projector and screen as big as I want. Would attach straight to TV though.

See Youtube link:

Hope that helps!

Simon

When I did classes at my local nature center (this was several years ago), I just used the same camcorder that I used to shoot my kids soccer games, etc. -- put it on a tripod, zoomed in on the vise, ran the camera straight to the tv mounted on the wall behind me and above my head level, and it worked beautifully--just as you said, the students could see every thread wrap. As a bonus, I could throw a tape (remember tapes?) in the camera and record my classes for future use, too.

The camera at the link you posted looks like it would work very well, too, and would surely be less bulky.

Considering that the camera you cited does not do HD, has a very low resolution, and no recording ability, not sure what the point would be. Would be much better off either using a HD camcorder with decent optical zoom, or SLR like Simon suggested. For the price, you can find better solutions, I would think.

What about a Go Pro or a Kodak PlaySport neither will break the bank and they have applications on the water also.

Will have to see how my PlaySport does for this application and let you know

gopro is a wide angle camera, no adjustable focus and everything will look round. ive tried it. not good.

check out the playsport or even a better quality high def camcorder.

The problem I've found with video cameras is their limited macro function. I have 2 Sony HD camcorders but neither can focus close enough to the vise to give a good image (compared to my Canon SLR). They have to be a long way away and zoomed in close to the max, which means they're zooming in the digital zone with associated loss of quality.

With my Canon SLR which has HD video I can use a true macro lens (we have several at work for taking dental photographs) and get a close-up image with no degradation. Of course the issue with macro is depth of field!

All my pics and video on the forum are taken with my Canon. I've got a LONG way to go to get anywhere near as good as Hans though!

Simon

With my Canon SLR which has HD video I can use a true macro lens (we have several at work for taking dental photographs) and get a close-up image with no degradation. Of course the issue with macro is depth of field!

Simon

Simon I agree with you on all points but Canons with the features you are talking about are also pricey.

I believe Skiperie was looking for something a little less cost prohibitive. But I could be wrong.

FlyTire thanks for the info on the GoPro I didn't know they were only wide angle.

Skiperie you may also want to look at some of the JVC and Sony digital camcorders out there they have become increasingly less expensive and feature rich. The main problem I have with most of them is if you don't want to tape the entire time you are tying they have a tendency to shut-off at inconvenient times due to the automatic shutoff feature built into the firmware.

Let us know how this turns out for ya.

I have an older Panasonic camcorder that has a macro zoom feature on it. I'm sure you could score even a used setup like that for $100 to $200. It's got a great picture and zooms right in on even the smallest patterns. I use it for a variety of tying shows, demos and classes. Never had a problem...

Otherwise, I have a Nikon DSLR with a nice macro lens. That works too, but much more costly.

I have an older Panasonic camcorder that has a macro zoom feature on it.

does it have a model number?