Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
terrymiller1973

Big Fly's and Stinger hooks

I have a question about larger fly's and stinger hooks. I am thinking about starting to tie in a loop of some sort of braided line to allow the addition of a stinger hook. I do not want to necessarily add a stinger hook to all of them but I want to have the option of adding one when needed like when fish are striking short. My question is does anyone do this add the loop in when the fly is tied to allow a stinger later if wanted.

I have tied a very small loop in flies to which I can tie a length of line and attach a hook. I like my trailing hook to be a bit flexible and I would worry how it would sit in a loop tied in. I suppose if you tied the loop in while attached to a hook so it sits all nice then it should work. But then why not just tie intruder style flies?

I have done this with Musky/Pike flies. All you have to do is tie in a loop of firewire braided line. As Piker said its pretty much like intruder style.

When you tie the firewire along the hook shank leave the line a bit long, wrap up the shank then fold the line back and tie it down again. I always glue on the shank as well after the line is tied in.

To help watch this video starting a 2:53. Do similar, just sans the rear hook.

I am not really looking at any 1 type of fly but was more thinking of putting them in all flies with a longer tail. Like on the seducer or deceivers have the long hackles by adding in the long loop when tying the fly it will allow you to add a stinger hook if needed. I guess what I need to know is if you think the loop of fireline would impact the action of the fly.

I am not really looking at any 1 type of fly but was more thinking of putting them in all flies with a longer tail. Like on the seducer or deceivers have the long hackles by adding in the long loop when tying the fly it will allow you to add a stinger hook if needed. I guess what I need to know is if you think the loop of fireline would impact the action of the fly.

I tie some long stuff (6-10" for musky) and never found the need for a "stinger" hook. You could do it as I suggested with a firewire loop. It is a little stiff but shouldnt impact the action too much.

I just explained how i have been doing my large patterns in the warmwtersection.

But lime mentioned i haven't a need for the secondary hook but i do like the option to use it if needed.

I've done a bit of work with stinger hooks and the loop tied in to mount them. Can't report any great enthusiasm for the results.... I much prefer a single hook with an erratic retrieve to provoke a strike by large, short striking fish. The method I've used for the loop involves taking the two ends and running them through the hook eye and back along the shank before tying any of the pattern. The doubled wire, usually nylon coated wire in the 30 to 50lb size, is fixed in place with a triple wrap of thread - then super-glued in place. Once it dries then you tie the fly around the loop. With the wire loop you can mount a stinger of your choice, then bend the loop just enough to bring the stinger into alignment with the shank of the leading hook. Here's two pics of an 8 to 10" fly with loop and stinger in place. The last pic is of the Southern Deceiver, a full dress version of Lefty Kreh's classic pattern on a 4/0 extra strong hook (Owner Aki or Tiemco 600sp). I much prefer a large single hook fly to anything I've done with a stinger hook (using chum or teasing to provoke a big fish into taking the entire fly on its attack...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-92099100-1354106619_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-37797500-1354106636_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-21477000-1354106661_thumb.jpg

I have done this with Musky/Pike flies. All you have to do is tie in a loop of firewire braided line. As Piker said its pretty much like intruder style.

When you tie the firewire along the hook shank leave the line a bit long, wrap up the shank then fold the line back and tie it down again. I always glue on the shank as well after the line is tied in.

To help watch this video starting a 2:53. Do similar, just sans the rear hook.

pay attention to what ChefBen said there! Any Firewire or any "superline" is slippery stuff, and will pull out of thread wraps if not doubled back and locked down.

I've tied some flies like that and don't really like them too much BUT I do use this method on some long bucktail jigs I tie, and also on dressed hooks for some spinning lures I make.