Fly Tying

As with almost everything in fly tying, UV cured compounds have been around in different industries for a long time. To say "they are all the same" would be akin to saying "all motor oils are the same" or "all tires are the same". There are thousands of different chemical mixtures out there in the UV-cured world, and they are all made differently for different purposes. The ones which have been brought into the fly tying world might be similar in nature, but they are NOT all the same.

As with almost everything in fly tying, UV cured compounds have been around in different industries for a long time. To say "they are all the same" would be akin to saying "all motor oils are the same" or "all tires are the same". There are thousands of different chemical mixtures out there in the UV-cured world, and they are all made differently for different purposes. The ones which have been brought into the fly tying world might be similar in nature, but they are NOT all the same.

AMEN! :)

Has anybody tried Bug Bond? Davie McPhail uses that a lot on his videos, but the stuff is pretty expensive.

Yes, I've been using Bug Bond for about 7 months. IMO it works extremely well. Pricey, yes. I bought Bug Bond with the UV Light for about $50.00. Under the UV Light, the Bug Bond

usually cures to touch in about 8 seconds for a small dab; and about 10-14 seconds for larger "dabs". Great product.

I started with the loon and switched to CCG. I haven't gone back to the Loon. I love the differing product viscosity with CCG. I started having issues with the Loon peeling off when coated over nymph backs. Haven't had that issue with CCG. The CCG just seems to hold up better and cure faster. Love the CCG light! Far superior to any others.

^^ike

'Been there... 'Done that... Tried 'em all [CCG, Loon, TF, DH, BB]

I absolutely prefer...

BUG-BOND [Original Formula] WITH the applicator Pro-Tips...

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on Bug Bond, fellas. It sure looks slick when Davie McPhail uses it, but then most of what he does looks effortless when he does it.

I will have to put that on my long-range list of fly-tying wants.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks' for the kind words!

'besides the common "candy" applications...

'consider another reason to consider L.C.A.'s

My choice... Bug-Bond Original w/pro tips...

'das welded [ie threadless] wide body tunnel hull...

F70A0630.jpg

F70A0631.jpg

F70A0633.jpg

I've used them all and found CCG to be the best

there are a bunch of different products for different applications. someone earlier mentioned about CCG not curing tack-free, a quick his of sally hansens takes away the tackiness or they have a "tack-free" product

and CCG is made in the USA

"I did find out that the resins are the same, just packaged differently."

I couldn't disagree more! Yes they all harden with the use of UV light but that is where the similatities end. I have found out that a lot of the formulas harden using different wavelengths of the UV spectrum. This leads me to belive that there are different formulas and therefore different properties to the products. Some use flourescent "blacklights" and some you can use a certain handheld UV flashlight.

I went on the assuption that they were all the same too, and I ordered a UV light only to find out it didn't work at all on the product I bought. After some imvestigation, I found out that "all" UV resins are not the same at all. Some harden more completely. Some remain flexable. Some harden to a tacky finish. And some are "diamond hard." Do your due vigilence! Buyer beware! What you don't know can cost you money!

Thanks' for the kind words!

'besides the common "candy" applications...

'consider another reason to consider L.C.A.'s

My choice... Bug-Bond Original w/pro tips...

'das welded [ie threadless] wide body tunnel hull...

F70A0630.jpg

F70A0631.jpg

F70A0633.jpg

Wow , that shot from above is just killer. The head profile is dead on. Great job.

Fred

regardless of brand, viscosity, curing wavelength, chemical composition, tackiness, hardness, flex, glitter or anything else you want to come up with, will any of the resins give you a different end result (uv cured resin) from what is shown in one of peters flies? will bug bond give you a different end result than ccg?

IMG_1729.jpg

can the area of the above fly be covered by any of the uv cured resins? i think so!

i will stand by my earlier statement for what their purpose is to "fly tying", "they are basically all the same" (I never said they were the same)

yes, i know there are different compositions used for different industries. the electronic goo may not work in the dental industry and vice versa.

The one thing that is common to any brand of uv resin is the sun is the best uv curing light