Fly Tying
breambuster

December Bluegill Swap Club

It's been a great year of swapping, Guys, and we have all gained more experience tying, not to mention some really awesome Bluegill flies. And I'm sure that many of them will work for other species also. It's been a pleasure, for the most part, to host the Swap Club. There have been some frustrations with people dropping out and not saying anything about it. I'm still concerned about what might have happened to Andydoc. He was so faithful and had posted that his set was going out in a couple of days and then he just dropped off the face of the earth, so to speak. I even mailed a letter to his home address, but never got a reply. It isn't missing someone's flies, or even having someone drop out of the swap club. But I can't help wonder and be concerned about what might have happened.

Which leads me to ask you all a question. If I ever do another swap club (year long) I am thinking that I might require a telephone number from each swapper. What would you guys think about supplying the swapmeister a telephone number to be used on in the event that the 'meister is unable to reach you in any other way?

As a follow-up to that, would the requirement that you supply the swapmeister a telephone number prevent any of you from joining a regular, one-time swap, with the same provision that it only be used as a last resort?

Looking back, I can count at least 11 people who have dropped out at some point during the year, and it looks like we have 6 of the original twelve who have stayed with us all year. I want to offer a special thanks to them for hanging in there for all 12 months. And I want to thank those who are still in the swap club who have joined at some point during the year. Thanks for your willing to jump in at some point during the year and hand with us until the end. You are all to be commended and I am most grateful for your participation. We have ended up with a great group of swappers and the quality of the flies being turned out each month is terrific. I hope that we can all swap again at some point.

Below, you will find the sign-up list for December. I already have flies from Famil00 and from Bass Mouth, and I received a set of flies from Fshrmanms just today. Great looking flies! Excellent work.

Take care

BB

1. Breambuster - SM - Predator

2. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - Received

3. Famil00 - Received - All Flies For The Rest Of The Year

4. Ristarwen - Received

5. IMX - Received

6. ChefBen4 - Received

7. Yetavon - Received

8. Dreamcaster4639 - Received

9. BassMouth87 - Received

10. FrequentTyer - Received

11. Fshrmanms - Received

12 Crackleback- Received

1st off THANK YOU BB.

I have no problem sending you my number, and look forward to swapping with you in the future, Club Single or fishing trip.....

For Dec my most sucsessfull fly...and it was a mistake...inverted beadchain clouser...yup tied mine upside down and it was a killer.

To meet the previous swaps a Redazz Ant for the dubbing swap.

sign me up as well if you do another...phone number is no prob here........heck give me a call to shoot the breeze or plan a trip to oregon, no skin off my back.

been an awesome swap in my book..

regards,

imx

Its been a pleasure swapping flies with you all. This month being the final I am tying up hoppers and droppers. Size 10 charlie boy hoppers and size 16 candy cane chromies seemed fitting. Many times had fish on both top and bottom at the same time.

Probably going in mail next weekend.

BB, I'd totally be up for another go 'round. This was fun! And providing a phone number...no problem. There oughta be a quick way for you to reach us if needed.

This month I think I'm gonna do a set of holiday-themed woven stonefly nymphs, along with some of Fishy Fullam's 3-eyed Beetles. I was gonna do another set of those Charlie Boy Hoppers in orange too, but it looks like Dreamcaster beat me to it! (that's right, I was gonna be on top of things and get all kinds of sets sent out!) I'm half-done with my beetle and nymph sets, and everything'll get sent out by the 20th.

Im tying what I call a Beadhead Christmas (or to be PC-holiday) nymph. Im actually already done, just waiting for November's to come so I can send the container back. I have a feeling you guys will like this one :lol:

almost done....i call it a dam prince so make up your own conclusions..

i've found myself over the yrs utilizing alot less different materals so if anyone gets tired of the same scheme/colors etc. that i use let me know so i can kick myself in the butt and get out the fish catchin specthrum that works for me but maybe not for you...

anyways.....

regards,

imx

The flies are on the way. I tied bee soft hackles. Thanks for hosting. I'm looking forward to year two.

Hook: Mustad 3366 #8

Thread: UTC 70 den. black

Body: Black floss

Rib: Yellow floss

Wing: Black krystal flash

Thorax: Black hare's ear with a little UV black ice dub mixed in

Hackle: Black hen

-Mike

They are on the way. There is a small gift added as a thank you to everyone for a great swap. I figured everyone that ties for the little blues can put some to use.

My December contribution went in the mail this morning. I tied my "go-to" pattern I call the Woven Bluegill Spider. Click on the name for pattern information.

thumbm_img4ddc6ee15bc9e.jpg

I designed this pattern based on the well known Bully's Bluegill Spider and named it accordingly. I found out after I posted the pattern that this is also very similar to the Cajun Tickler, so I want to give credit where credit is due.

One small change from the original pattern. I now use a metalic peacock dubbing on the head. It is a bit more flashy and buggy, and definitely more durable.

A big thanks to BB for hosting through the year, and to all of the swappers. I really enjoyed this swap and have never had so many great bluegill patterns!

Best wishes for Happy Holidays,

Mike.