Fly Tying
RJD31

Hook Storage

I have never tried that one but you can make one really cheap by getting a bead organizer from hobby lobby and some magnetic tape

Yep, magnetic tape is the secret. I get the real thin magnets. They're small sheets a little smaller than an index card and sticky on one side. I cut pieces to size, push them into each compartment. It's worked perfectly so far. Also a lot cheaper.

Edit: Here's the small organizers I picked up from Bass Pro and added the magnet. Really helps the little hooks.

2012-12-12%252017.22.07.jpg

I use regular plano boxes and had saved all of the little magnetic squares that Tiemco hooks came packaged with. I trim the carboard off and glue them in. Hooks hold and I can get several of them in the top drawer of my tying desk.

Steve

I use regular plano boxes and had saved all of the little magnetic squares that Tiemco hooks came packaged with. I trim the carboard off and glue them in. Hooks hold and I can get several of them in the top drawer of my tying desk.

Steve

Steve,

I use those squares in my compartment dry fly boxes, they work great. I don't like my hackles and wings all smushed like they can get in the newer style fly boxes.

Don

I have one like in J Stockard link, its ok but I'm always nervous opening an entire side of it considering there is rarely less than 200 hooks in each little compartment and with size 22 to 10 dries on one side and standard wets on the other. Sometimes right after a hook order I get really antsy because I try to bulk up to 700 of each size and style. Individual lids and rounded bottoms is the best idea.

Steve

I've gone through a lot of different containers and methods. I've settled on the Craftmate stuff you can get from craft stores. The ones pictured below are the newer ones I've started to use. Each tray holds 7 4-compartment boxes. Each compartment has curved bottoms and are individually locked (one of the biggest considerations, IMO)

811_4434051002365_617502524_n.jpg

I need a label maker and some of those boxes from the craft store like Curtis'. I believe I will cut up a magnet sheet from WalMart to place in the bottom.Individual boxes are the only way to go....spilling 5000 assorted flies is a PITA...take it from me... :lol: So now I just need to find the old fashioned squeeze label maker, because I am a cheap old fart and those fancy new electronic label makers have to be expensive... :lol:

Murray

I tie at home and during the summer in a camper. My place my hooks in a pill envelope, 1 size to an envelope, then all sizes of one style go into a "ziplock type" snack bag. I place small cardboard labels in each bag. I keep my hooks in a drawer in an shop organizer. When I am tying, I remove only one envelope- size at a time. When packing to go on the road, I can load the needed small packets into the snack pack "ziplock" and place it with my traveling kit. I only keep 100 or less hooks out in the organizer. My extra packs, usually bought when I find a great deal, are stored in a shoebox till needed. I find problems, clutter, etc occur when too much unneeded stuff is out. Randall

pot’ containers. I wanted something as small as possible. My dry fly hooks (Orvis Supreme and Premium) are size 14 to 24, wet fly & nymphs hooks (Mustad) are 10 to 16 and streamer hooks (Mustad) are 8-12 – 4X and 6X – these require a larger Plano box (no PIC). All of the above hooks came in packs of 100 hooks.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/carp-starter/HookBoxes.jpg

POCKET MICRO TACKLE BOX TBM-6 and PLANO box

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/carp-starter/HookBoxes02.jpg

WAPSI FBE26 – SNAP TOP 6 BOX and POCKET MICRO TBM-6

Two years ago I bought 75 packs of hooks that I never had before – Daiichi, Tiemco and Mustad C49S (10 to 28) and TMC 518 in 28 and 30 (I could not get size 32 in Canada).

I do not mix hooks from 2 companies and so I can leave in 1 compartment a small piece of paper showing the name of the hooks and the largest size number because all hooks are sequential in hook number. I put a rubber band around 5 Micro boxes and put all I have into a large Plano box. My filing system is very simple.

carp-stater

http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-6-Compartment-Micro-Tackle-Boxes_p.html

POCKET MICRO TACKLE BOX TBM-6 $1.25 USD - SPECS

http://www.icefish.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=141&cat=68&new=

HT ENTERPRISES INC. (Pocket Micro – from Wisconsin I think)

http://www.wapsifly.com/pdffiles/wap/page%2073.pdf

WAPSI FBE26 – SNAP TOP 6 BOX

Wow ... I knew I was lacking in hook organization, but you guys make my system look really bad.

Here's an example of some of my hook storage.

I've gone through a lot of different containers and methods. I've settled on the Craftmate stuff you can get from craft stores. The ones pictured below are the newer ones I've started to use. Each tray holds 7 4-compartment boxes. Each compartment has curved bottoms and are individually locked (one of the biggest considerations, IMO)

811_4434051002365_617502524_n.jpg

I think this is the best I've seen so far. How big are the actual compartments? Is there some kind of compartment for the trays, or do they stack well?