Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutguy

What is your favorite gamebird?

I went Woodcock hunting yesterday along the Broad River in SC. My dog got her first Woodcock. Quail hunting has been pretty scare in the Piedmont. I skinned one Woodcock out and boraxed the skin. I think it is my new favorite. I haven't shot or hunted Woodcock in over twenty years. We apparently have a bunch down here. We flushed about a dozen in thick Switchcane and Cinese Privet yesterday and shot two.

I love Ruffed Grouse for tying, Hungarian, Sharptail and turkey are always good, Chukkar is under utilized, what is your favorite and what do you tye with it?

Mine is snipe. Someone, I think from SC, sent me a skin a couple of years ago. It makes the best soft hackles. I suspect that Woodcock would be similar.

Most flexible is Ringed Neck Pheasant. Almost everything on that bird, cock or hen, is usable.

I usto love working my setters and hunting Grouse and Woodcock till my knees weht on me.

Now I just dream of it.

I did this way before I started fly tying so I didn't save or use for the skins. Now I wish I saved them tho.

phg I hope to go Snipe hunting later this month or next. I have seen pictures but never tied with one. A lot of older wet fly patterns call for Snipe.

Partridge at the mo. Pheasant is a good staple but partridge edges it for me.

We have snipe nesting near me but not sure its legal in UK to shoot. Lots of great over winter wading birds but many are protected.

post-3361-0-07569100-1358739288_thumb.jpg Bird 1 Woodcock

post-3361-0-18428300-1358739305_thumb.jpg Bird 2 Ring neck pheasant male

post-3361-0-87104900-1358739328_thumb.jpg Bird 3 Sharptail Grouse

post-3361-0-70483400-1358739357_thumb.jpg Bird 4

post-3361-0-34929600-1358739383_thumb.jpg Bird 5

post-3361-0-67835800-1358739405_thumb.jpg Bird 6 Chukar

post-3361-0-03298900-1358739431_thumb.jpg Bird 7

post-3361-0-39475500-1358739455_thumb.jpg Bird 8 Gray phase of a Ruffed Grouse.

post-3361-0-82189900-1358739476_thumb.jpg Bird 9

OK here is a quiz what are these gamebirds?

Mine is snipe. Someone, I think from SC, sent me a skin a couple of years ago. It makes the best soft hackles. I suspect that Woodcock would be similar.

Most flexible is Ringed Neck Pheasant. Almost everything on that bird, cock or hen, is usable.

I'm a new tyer & a friend gave me 2 Ringed Neck Pheasants that don't have much color to them maybe male? Could anyone tell me what to use these for?

Though I use more partridge my favorite has to be the golden plover. Quite similar to woodcock, but more golden than cream. I've always done well with the traditional Hare's Lun 'n' Plover.

Cheers,

C.

Great thread, probably because I have an English Pointer that I both hunt over and trial! I love tying with grouse and huns, though prefer the "less utilized" feathers on each. I also love purchasing European grouse and woodcock when I see nice skins.

I participate a lot in shoots, with the primary bird being the chukar. I have used it occasionally over the last few years, but never found that great "aha" fly; since it seems many in this thread are familiar with this bird, is anyone willing to share any effective patterns tied with it?

Thanks all!

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout