Fly Tying
Piker20

bench light advice sought.

I use a similar Daylight light. Ottlights are similar, and virtually interchangeable, although generally more expensive. I believe Ott developed the style, but that just a moot point. At the same time, I bought my light before all these new LED lights became available. The recent advances in LED technology certainly bear looking into. More light, less heat, lower power consumption ....

Yes im definitely going to go with a led type. Anyone set an underlight in the bench surface to provide soft light from below?

For years I tied under a "shop light" (cheap metal hood housing two long fluorescent tubes) and thought that was all I needed. Then I tried an Ott light at a tying club meeting and went out and bought myself one the same day -- could not believe the difference it made. I got mine online at Joann Fabrics' website, where they run them on sale for 50% off periodically. I later discovered them at Big Lots (a chain of stores that sells overstocked items from other stores--not sure if you have them in your area) for about $30 for a nice size tabletop model. They really make a world of difference in my opinion.

My next tying lamp is going to be the Peak LED lamp that clamps onto the vise stem, and my main reason for wanting that is its size and portability. That would be the only downside of the OTT lamps - they do take up some space on your bench.

On the bench I slapped an ott CFL bulb in one of the cheap swing arm lamps with a magnifier. It's not the ideal solution but I like the quality of the light. The Ott bulb is definitely worth a few bucks more. When I'm inside I have a rechargeable ott portable like the one Riff posted. I picked that one up at a craft store when they had 50% off sale. I've been seriously eyeing one of the Nor Vise lamp/magnifier combos. Anyone out there using one?

So which Ott Light do you guys have & which 1 would you recommend?

http://www.ottlite.com/c-39-desktable.aspx

I use the mini task lamp and would recomend it in a minute it has served me the past 7 years and have not had to even change a bulb

are you running that off battery or mains? How long are batteries lasting? Do these work off car battery type batts?

I've got the battery task lamp http://www.ottlite.com/p-51-battery-task-lamp.aspx and usually run it off the battery. Stated battery life is 3 hours which seems about right but I think I've gotten a bit more out of it at times. I'm using this one in the house (i.e. away from the bench) and never had it run out on me as long as I charge it up overnight.

I got my ott lites cheap off the auction site. So i have 2. Both 13 watt. One affixed to my table and the other is a floor lamp style so i move it around based on my needs. I too have looked at the norvise lamp but i dont think its a daylight bulb ( i assume it could be changed to one if its not. ).

Try the desk model out. You can always go bigger later. Or retrofit an architects lamp with a screw in ott bulb.

I use Ottlite high definition craft pluss floor lamp with 24w hd tube.

It's also great for reading, knitting, crochet, ect.

Don't need more stuff on my small desk.

Skinny

I got a used Ott light for $10 on Ebay and have had it for 2 years and never had to change the bulb. It is a game changer when I tie, my eyes don't get tired and no headaches from trying to tie in low light. I love it.

Blane

Ott lights are sweet! I have a floor model and the smaller desktop light I use for traveling. I've the small one here with me in Afghanistan and it is working like a champ! I got mine at JoAnne Fabrics...a ladies sewing /craft store. Whatch your paper for 40-60% off coupons for a single item. They usually come out once a week. Can't beat the price this way.

Cheers,

4Kiwis