Fly Tying
Simon Lidster

Very small dries

Size 24 Klink (with size 16 next to it!)

Tied to the original recipe with LT dubbing.

Also size 20 grey duster parachutes, foam thorax, one with snowshoe hackle.

Enjoy!

Simonpost-33535-0-33266500-1359572230_thumb.jpgpost-33535-0-53609000-1359572246_thumb.jpgpost-33535-0-23994000-1359572263_thumb.jpgpost-33535-0-37166900-1359572280_thumb.jpg

I am amazed at how small some people can tie. A friend at a local fly shop tied me two midges, one a size 26 one a 28...I placed them in a small baggie for later use and have since misplaced them;( He was kind enough to show me how he selects peacock eye herl and how he uses to to tie on such a small hook...perhaps one day I will give it a shot.

That sure makes a size 16 hook look big. If you took curtis' size 32 and posted it next to the 16 it would look like you had tied a clink on a big slamonfly hook, lol. Those are nice ties, I know how hard small dries are.

Those who can tie below a size 20 are truly skilled. However there fish ability I still question. We all know trout of all waters eat tons of midges and other no-see-ums, but how are you supposed to fish a pattern you can't even see? Even my young eyes can have difficulty at times trying to find a size 16 in the riffles, much less a size 22. I guess those who can fish flies that small are quite skilled to...

Those who can tie below a size 20 are truly skilled. However there fish ability I still question. We all know trout of all waters eat tons of midges and other no-see-ums, but how are you supposed to fish a pattern you can't even see? Even my young eyes can have difficulty at times trying to find a size 16 in the riffles, much less a size 22. I guess those who can fish flies that small are quite skilled to...

Fish them with a strike indicator if need be. I have been fishing 2 size #26 flashy rs2's lately (they look like salmon flies compared to that #32 posted above), without an indicator, just looking for a back, or the white of a mouth about where my flies are. I get quite a few tight line strikes as well, because emergers drift up in the water column at the end of your drift when your line starts to drag.

I do miss a few more fish with a size 26 hook though...

IMG_20130131_084459-1.jpg

I also questioned how effective these flies were until i was fishing elk springs resort, a notorious small fly river. The only thing they would hit was a size 28 black midge pattern and i caught so many fish on that small fly it amazed me. Im officially a firm believer in small flies now.