Fly Tying
GG34

Curved shank hooks

How do you know when to use the curved shank hooks? I sometimes see them labeled as scud/ emerger hooks. What are ye benefits on some of the standard nymph patterns? Thanks.

I use them quite a bit, both for scud/emerger patterns, drys, and soft hackle wets, etc. I think the curved body looks more natural. Don't know if it really makes a difference fish-wise, though.

Well, firstly, curved shank hooks are different from scud hooks. A curved shank hook (csh) has a gently curved shank and can be used for dries as well as nymphs. Stimulators are generally tied on a CSH as are a lot of stone fly nymphs. Scud hooks are a have more severe bend and are almost exclusively used for nymphs and emerers. I like to use CSH on upside down patterns. Hope that helps a bit.

Yes, you can tie a hares ear on a straight shank a curved shank or the natural bend hooks, they will all look just a bit different. I tied scuds for many years on straight shank hooks (before the curved shanks were introduced,) and I haven't noticed all that much difference in performance.

I use the continuous bend (light wire up eye,) hooks for emerger patterns. When I tie emergers, I want the tail and abdomen to hang below the surface, and only the thorax and wing to be above the surface, the continuous bend hook help with this style. The pattern looks like this.

post-12074-0-81283600-1361556085_thumb.jpg

What most fly fishers and tiers do NOT know is, that to imitate swimming scuds, the deeply curved "scud hooks" are the wrong shape. Tie the scud pattern on straight hooks. I learned this in the 1980's from Jason Borger's latex scud pattern tied on a straight hook.

See the Jason Borger latex scud, back cover, upper left fly.

Reference FlyTyer Vol 6 - Issue 1 - Spring 1983

"First of all, swimming scuds, the kind fish are likely to see, are as straight as a needle and only curl up into the typical scud fly profile when they are crawling around on something."

California School of Flyfishing, Nevada City and Truckee, CA > Entomology > Scuds

So there is no need to buy special "scud" hook to tie a scud. With all the curved scuds we see in pattern books and in fly boxes, a straight scud pattern may look strange but they work!!

"Many anglers capturing or viewing a stationary scud for the first time may consider using a distinct curved hook to imitate their natural profile. This would be a mistake. Fly fishers need to imitate moving scuds darting through the water in an outstretched manner. Only their tail area or telsun hangs down. Curved scuds are dead, resting or feeding. Pronounced curved pattern profiles should be avoided. Successful hook styles include standard shank or a scud pupa to suggest mobile scuds."

Shrimp - Scuds, Entomology. Fly Fishing Philip Rowley