Fly Tying
GG34

Small halo tinsel?

Check out Hobby Lobby in the kniting area. Last I saw, it came in an assortment of several colors packaged together. I didn't see individual spools.

Is it actually called halo tinsel at the craft store?

It is called holoshimmer. Mine is a 250 yd spool. That sounds like a lot, (and it is) but the spool is rather small since the strand is rather small. One of the best craft store buys I've ever made. I need to go back and see if they have any different colors. (Mine is silver) I like it better than the UTC stuff I have because it is much smaller and works well on small flies.

Holographic Flashabou is close to the same & is available in different width strands. I bought a large spool some years ago of some wide holographic ribbon. It's about 1/4" wide, looks like mylar (probably is) with silver on one side & gold on the other. Would not surprise me if it's not spooled in much thinner width's too as ribbon.

I have 4 spools of the Sulky material, sort of pricey, but they run it on sale frequently, also nearby is clear mono thread, might as well pick up some of it also, I think it was $0.95 when I bought it compared to $2.50 at the fly tying store

Glad I stumbled on this thread, I can find various shades in 200m spools which would last the rest of my tying days I reckon.