Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTieDad

Most difficult fly?

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Humpy - even simplified versions give me fits but my biggest issue with them seems to be finding suitable hair for the wings.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Humpy - even simplified versions give me fits but my biggest issue with them seems to be finding suitable hair for the wings.

I kinda like tying the humpy, only problem is separating the wing from the tail when folding it up.

I have always failed miserably to tie a Messinger Frog. The closest I have come is by stacking the hair but that is cheating and not the Messinger method.

Christopher K = I use a piece of saran wrap to separate the wing and tail - makes it much easier

I do not tie the classic salmon flies often, but the Intruder could be very time-consuming and also tricky. This fly requires special hydrodynamic features built into it, or it will not work in a current as it should.

One more group of complicared flies are the "articulated streamers" - the descendants of a simple String Leech. A couple of examples of these flexible flies are attached.

post-34261-0-02556800-1363082560_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-83545600-1363082629_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-25307100-1363082649_thumb.jpg

I do not tie the classic salmon flies often, but the Intruder could be very time-consuming and also tricky. This fly requires special hydrodynamic features built into it, or it will not work in a current as it should.

One more group of complicared flies are the "articulated streamers" - the descendants of a simple String Leech. A couple of examples of these flexible flies are attached.

I really like tying the articutaded flies, they take a while to tie but are very rewarding.

photo-21_zps98f25877.jpg

For me it is those fancy deer hair flies you see in Fly Tyer magazine....I just cannot figure out how they stack the hair to get the color combinations they get...I'll spend hours clipping and cleaning, stacking, and tying deer hair to flies...but they all come out looking like I sneezed something onto the hook....wish i could go to a show sometime and watch someone tye one of those just to see how it is done....before I go totally crazy.....

Difficult flies there are not; only less experienced tyers! ;-) that said, I can't pack deer hair tight to save my life!