Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
green

what weight rod for pike fishing

I want to buy a heavier rod but cant decide between an 8 and 10 weight rod which on would be better.

I just bought an 8 weight blank to build into a pike/carp rod. I think that will fit my bill....Most of the pike around here are not HUGE but we have occasionally gotten into ones in the 15 to 20 pound mark. The norm is closer to the 5 to 10 pound range and smaller though.

I have been using an old PM-10 908 for all my "heavy fishing".

Pike, Bass, redfish, stripers, blues, sometimes im a little under gunned and somtimes over but the 8 wt is a great all rounder for me.

Depends on the size flies that you intend to throw.....

The rod im going to buy for pike is a 9' 10 weight seams like a good choice to me. To me 8 weight is starting to get small for pike especially if you get a fish that digs down into the weeds. Go for a 10 weight and keep it safe.

An 8wt can handle the fish no sweat, but as Ditz mentioned, it's all about the flies you want to throw. If you're gonna be chucking 8-12" streamers, you'd probably be undergunned with an 8wt. I'd rather have too much rod than too little any day, especially when the wind starts howling.

I use a custom 9wt. Its a fast action rod suitable for "normal" size flies to my huge musky flies.

If you talk to Steve over at Midwest Custom Fly Rods he can help you out for a GREAT price. I already have one of his and in the middle of working on my second with him.

For what its worth, I would not go 10wt. Ive been there. Tossing one around all day is tough!

It all depends on the wind. on calm days ill use a 5 wt and throw deceiver with a sink tip line. on windy days i move up to a 9wt and throw clousers whistler and upline. To this day my largest pike was on a 5 wt. took over 15 minutes to bring in 43" caught on a red and white deceiver in a river. If you are fishing heavy weeds i would go with atleast an 8 wt.

so to answer your question i would say an 8wt would be fine unless your throwing musky sized flys or fish an extremely windy spot :)