Fly Tying

Have never experienced this before, i am on the sw coast of Aussie land at the moment and the fishing was really heating up, went down yesterday for a scout on the beach and to my shock what looked like this oily brown slick was being wahed up on the beach, it looks like an oil spill. Now there are thick bands of the stuff washing up. I have not seen any fish life anywhere near it. Where before i experienced some crazy baitfish blitzes, no baitfish now.

We called up the Conservation department as we were afraid it was an oil spill, they told us it was a toxic red algae bloom and to not swim in it or touch it.

For fishing here i guess i am done until it goes away, but how long does this affect the fishing for? The fish have all swum away. I guess it is toxic to them too.

Nasty!

I have seen it happen oh the east coast of the US. How long it can last is not typically predictable. It depends on how hardy it is in those waters. A lot of times, a good storm will clear it out.

Damn, storm is not till next week - just more hot weather coming, will scout this evening and see if anything is alive. Kinda sucks not being able to swim and snorkel too

I have had some experience with it on the east coast of Florida, it's brutal. I am not sure if it is the same red algae as over there, but here it is hell on your lungs, throat and even eyes. As soon as you get out the car or approach the beach it feels as if you all of a sudden have a really bad chest cold. It can last a few days or weeks depending on the wind. On the west coast of Florida it does a lot more damage on the sea life because there is not as much current and the salinity levels are prime for blooms

This might explain my sudden congestion - i actually saw 2 people swimming in it today, some 'blobs or lines' of it have dissipated but most of them are washing up on shore in pretty big concentration. Wondering if i should just pack up and leave here as i am staying damn close to the beach, weather calls for more washing up. It is absolutely foul stuff. Suprised anything could live in it and the fish have just left town.

Yes i think i shall move location on Sunday...Damn shame.

I heard of that in Chile, they said avoid eating shell fish as the toxins from red tide is found in high concentrations and can make you v.ill. We ate fish that had eaten crustaceans and we were fine. I assumed if the fish survived I would. Here in UK we are pestered by blue green algae and dogs die every year having swam or more likely drank in the water.

Jammer, don't fool with that stuff, it can be dangerous. Children and people with compromised immune systems are especially at risk. There are several types of toxic algae, and all of them can make you pretty sick - some can kill you. When I was a commercial shellfisherman, we would occasionally get warnings and sometimes the fishery would be shut down for a while. Shellfish that ingest the algae can remain toxic for some time after the bloom dissipates. Of course, you could always bottle some of it and use it to dispose of your enemies when you return home. It should blend nicely with spaghetti sauce.

Dang PJ remind me never to piss you off, or eat pasta with you!

Not to worry Andy - you're not on my list. However, there's a certain cop who nailed me in a notorious speed trap this week who'd better start watching her diet very carefully.

In my experience on the west coast of bc we never get a really bad red tide. We have strong tidal currents so it never really builds up. There was one time where after a huge storm on of the sounds filled with freshwater and created something similar to red tide. The fish went of the bite, but they where still there, sitting down deep below it all.

Mmmmm PJ's special Sea Gingivitis Linguine! Who needs fiber....

I will say it again. Nothing good can happen in the ocean or salt water. It's like living here in Texas. Everything bites, stings and is poisonous.

My avitar is the USS Indianapolis (still at sea), there are a few still living today who can attest to that.

They got the job done though. And the only good thing Clinton did in office, besides play the saxophone and have sex in he Oval office, was he issued a full pardon for the Captain.