Fly Tying
atxdiscgolfer

Redfish Swap

Good deal ifly i think you will definitely like it here hopefully i will have a fishing report after next weekend. I am hoping to have a better fishing trip and play better golf next time I go to Florida which I hope to be soon. My wife and I went on a Tarpon trip last time and we struck out besides catching a couple of Snook, golf on the other hand wasnt bad at all, i just fell apart on the back 9 but thats usual.

I'd be happy with some snook anyday! Going to the keys is another thing I want to do. Just wondering but what size reds do y'all get down by you?

I am not much into blindcasting with a fly rod it usually just turns into a sore arm so i prefer to catch the slot size or smaller, my mother in law has caught a 38 on the islands though.

Sorry for the delay. Spent the day digging around the shop trying to find the location of the box.

Apparently the box was shipped to one of our sales guys for some odd reason and shipped back to me.

Of course no one can tell me where they put it, so i started a new set and should have them done tonight and shipped red on Monday.

I've requested a tracking number this time so I can better monitor the package.

I apologize for the delay everyone. I learned my lesson on this one.

Sometimes it's best to do things yourself.

Boys:

Some good news from Texas. Mine are going out USPS 3 Day.

Now I was thinkin, wonder if there would be any pics of fish taken on any of these flys? Maybe some braggin rights. Just remember, everything is bigger in Texas or a least with my number stick. lol

The Don

I am going be an official Florida resident, on the 20th. Right after that, I will be heading over to the Lagoons (Indian River, and Mosquito,) with the flies from this swap. I will try and get some pictures up, assuming of course that I am able to find, hook up and land a red fish.

That sounds like a good idea.

Atx- sounds the same as by me. Most reds we sight fish to are under 35 inches but plenty are to be caught up to 50" easily in the channels and inlets

Sthrncomfort- no worries man things happen, I was just worried that I missed the delivery but cant wait to see the flys

Dontheo- I plan to fish each 1 of these flys next weekend down at Port O Connor (pending wifes approval but I am brown nosing as much as possible) and will hopefully have pics to show; all of the flys in this swap are quality so I am optimistic that these will get the job done. I cant wait to check out your flys next week and I never did get a chance to fly fish Galveston but it will happen soon.

Utyer- from what I hear Florida is a saltwater fly fishers paradise so many species to be had and so close to shore; I am jealous. In TX we have to go miles offshore to catch a Sailfish,or any other type of deepwater species.

I have had a lot of fun fishing in the surf in Galveston. You never are sure what you will get into. But your right, the good fishing is way off shore for the big guys.

Txdisc: I was north of San Antonio last week and was wondering if the trout activity is over on the Guadalupe? I know it's late but it seems like we had a Spring time in Texas this year.

Utyer: my Dad lived in Clearwater fo awhile. I would always go out for spring training. You can see, maybe, 18 inches down on the Texas side of the gulf near Galveston. You are going to love it in Florida. Don't worry about the skeeters. We have them so big here that at night you can see them carrying away a small baby or dog in there beaks.

I told you things were bigger in Texas. Lol

Yeah the Guadalupe slows down Tremendously right after March if you do go down there I would highly suggest going to Gárdos or Rio Raft where it is deep and fishing with a conehead olive woolly booger size 10 tied with Cactus Chenille; i have caught several over 18" down there on that fly with or without leggs added. Some people still go down there after March and have some success but usually only 1-2 fish a day but i personally dont like to dodge snakes and toobers to catch 1 or 2 fish.

d73a02e8bc3511e2bab822000a9f3c25_7.jpg

A bit of a preview.

I got the second set done much faster than the first. Breaking the process down into two sittings for the flies seem to make things much faster.

The pattern is fairly simple.

B10S Size 1

Eggsac/Mouthparts: Orange Synthetic Fibers (I used a PIP fiber form Fly tyers dungeon. However the Enrico pattern calls for a orange streamer brush.)

Antennae: Green Sili Legs

Eyes:Crustacean Eyes

Claws: Barred Tiger Rabbit Strip

Body: Gold Sparkle Streamer Brush

Small Lead Eyes

I tied this batch in two steps:

Lead Eye-> Eggsac -> Antennae -> Crustacean Eyes

Claws -> Body

By breaking it up, it helped make for a more durable fly.

I make the crustacean eyes by tinting five minute epoxy with either Testors enamel or fine cut glitter.