Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Big Bait Fly

Peter, that's a good looking fly! I really like the combination of colors. Should work well for whatever you decide to toss it at!

Thanks guys. I've heard that cobia come into the inlet here, so I'm gonna keep my eyes open for sure.

sthrncomfort - the head is made by tying the end of a piece of EZ-Body (or similar) at the head, pulling it back over itself, and tying in again at the head. Color with markers, apply the eyes and coat with epoxy. The hollow doll's eyes are there to add some buoyancy and keep the fly swimming, rather than jigging up and down.

Kirk, I agree with your assessment of the 7wt. I only use mine at night or when I remember to bring a mask. My reputation takes enough hits as it is.

Paul, don't forget your pocket comb. That fly will stand up to pike OK, but those teeth would really tangle up the wool. Seriously, I use a lot of wool flies, so I carry a comb in my bag for that reason.

awesome tie PJ! Does the head give it a sort of slider action? It looks like the tail is icelandic sheep which has great action in the water. Goat hair would also work there or even a mix of the two would look nice

I have had suspicions for a long time now that I am a big sissy but after the local opinions of a 7wt user I can't imagine the opinions of a 5wt user. I am petrified of mentioning my 2wt. This is a tough crowd.......

awesome tie PJ! Does the head give it a sort of slider action? It looks like the tail is icelandic sheep which has great action in the water. Goat hair would also work there or even a mix of the two would look nice

Andy, that particular fly has slightly less than neutral buoyancy, so it does sink slowly. Without the eyes, the weight of the epoxy and heavy hook would make it dive like a jig. My thought was to keep it swimming relatively high in the water column. When I was fishing a lot of nasty boulder fields for striped bass, I liked to use big doll's eyes on lighter flies, and they did indeed behave like sliders when fished on an intermediate line. Yeah, that's Icelandic sheep. Love the stuff. I've heard you can get goat hair that's very similar, though I've never seen it. I bought a whole Icelandic sheepskin last year, so I won't be looking for substitutes any time soon. Ditz asked me to make him a wig with it, but I'm having trouble finding the right shade of hot pink dye.

I have had suspicions for a long time now that I am a big sissy but after the local opinions of a 7wt user I can't imagine the opinions of a 5wt user. I am petrified of mentioning my 2wt. This is a tough crowd.......

Nah, just do what I do: check out the Mudhole site and order some 12wt decals. You can stick them on right over the ones that are already on the rod and nobody'll be the wiser. You might not fool guys like Capt. Bob LeMay, but most of the clowns I know couldn't tell a 12wt from a radio antenna. That fly's actually two inches long - I just Photoshopped a ruler into the picture to enhance my reputation as a big-game fisherman. Actually, I've never caught anything bigger than a hickory shad.

PJ .... I have heard of a few fishermen stretching the size of thier catch but never a hint of anyone shrinking the size of thier catch. I recommend lots of asprin and a minimum of 3 days bed rest with no female attention for the 3 days.

Ray, I already take an aspirin every day and most of the female attention I get comes from our pit bull. (my wife is out of town a lot) As far as bed rest goes, there isn't much else to do here at the home. I'm not allowed to mingle with the other inmates since I was busted for point shaving in a shuffleboard tournament.