Fly Tying
Phish

Cork popper

I started on it last winter but never finished until last week.5 1/2" long, 6/0 hook. Turned the body on the dremel out of a large wine cork that I received.

post-35846-0-45590800-1364296802_thumb.jpg

That is purdy......be carefull of those bait stealing tree bass

Beautiful job on that popper.

Do you live in Australia?

Nooo.

Lorain ohio(sic)

Beautiful job on that popper.

Do you live in Australia?

Nooo.

Lorain ohio(sic)

Land down under. Your pic is upside down. ;)

Okay, so I work at a wine bar and have endless amounts of cork.. Ive been making poppers for years and stopped using cork due to the fact of all the holes in the cork.. My question is what does everyone use to fill them? Ive been coating the with epoxy then sanding them smooth, it just seems like over kill due to the finish being a alcohol/epoxy fininsh also?

Okay, so I work at a wine bar and have endless amounts of cork.. Ive been making poppers for years and stopped using cork due to the fact of all the holes in the cork.. My question is what does everyone use to fill them? Ive been coating the with epoxy then sanding them smooth, it just seems like over kill due to the finish being a alcohol/epoxy fininsh also?

I've only worked with pre-shaped cork bodies that have voids in them. But what I use is Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler to

fill in the voids. The Wood Filler easily sands smooth. If you still have a very slight depression where the cork void was

filled, the self leveling properties of epoxy generally make any slight variation invisible.

The Wood Filler quickly dries and if moved to a class jar for storage can be used indefinitely by adding a bit of

water every once in a while.

Ron, are you using Elmer's Wood Sealer or Filler?

I didn't know Elmer's made a wood sealer. I have some wood sealer from Minwax but never used it to fill voids, I may have to try it.

For voids in the cork and even the hook slot on other types of heads, I use Elmer's water based Wood Filler, the off-white/yellowish one. It may be for indoors use but it is smoother than the one that is stainable and has fibers in it. The yellowish one may be indoors but you're coating with paint and epoxy so, its not an issue.

Kirk

Ron, are you using Elmer's Wood Sealer or Filler?

I didn't know Elmer's made a wood sealer. I have some wood sealer from Minwax but never used it to fill voids, I may have to try it.

For voids in the cork and even the hook slot on other types of heads, I use Elmer's water based Wood Filler, the off-white/yellowish one. It may be for indoors use but it is smoother than the one that is stainable and has fibers in it. The yellowish one may be indoors but you're coating with paint and epoxy so, its not an issue.

Kirk

You are absolutely correct!

I mis-typed.

I use the Wood Filler.

StippledPopper hangs his head in shame and amends his errant post.

Stippled, send me one pencil popper, two bass bugs and three bream bugs and you'll be absolved.

You never know what people use these days, I was just asking.

Kirk

The cork I have from commercial champaigne bottles is solid with no void and huge. Not those synthetic one either. I pre drill and then use the Steve Winters tool and carefully sand them down.

Paint is variety acyrlic paint but lately I like Jaqcue jars the best but are 3 time more costs but they are best paint I have ever used. I use a the modern style foam brush to paint the swish on the side. I also use my airbrush for the base coats and patterns on top as they put a much better paint finish on. Hope that helps. I can get some more pictures up. I am starting on some artuculted bluegill poppers nextbut waiting for my nephew to give me the tool to bend the wires. Should be a fun one.