Fly Tying
professori

Tie what you can with this

OK, this concept popped up in rockworm's evolution swap (it's his concept actually) so I thought why not go with it. The idea is simple: I provide a list of materials and all participants choose their own hook style and size and the thread. Everyone ties their flies using all the specified materials. I will take 15 tiers including myself. I am reserving space for five folks who already expressed interest, but I will only hold those spots until 8:00 pm PDT, Mar. 28.

Materials:

Natural ring neck pheasant tail

Liquid lace Pumpkin seed or tan

Rusty brown ice dubbing

Grizzly hackle

Grey Antron

One item of your own choosing (optional-but must be identified if used).

(Reasonable substitutions will be allowed)

Everyone ties 15 and you get one of your own back. Pm the pattern recipe to me and I will post them along with a photo of the fly once all flies are in the return post.

I am in Canada, so please be aware that return postage to the US or overseas is about $5.00 Canadian or US.

Due date is May 15.

As an added enticement, I will choose the fly I think shows the most creativity and fishability and award a prize patch of muskox hair (Lucky for you all, I won't be eligible to win the prize).

1. professori

2. riffleriversteelhead slayer Made it home!!

3. rockworm Made it home!!

4. natedubay Made it home!!

5. mybadhabit Made it home!!

6. Margaretann Made it home!!

7. netabrookie Made it home!!

8. SCOwens Made it home!!

9. Qballs No Show!

10. fishingbobnelson Made it home!!

11. Sjo Lost in transit

12. Travis Bille Made it home!!

13. kenj13 Made it home!!

SWAP CLOSED

I checked my already overfull material closet and found it deficient in these materials:

Amber liquid lace

Rusty brown ice dubbing

May we use substitutes?

I checked my already overfull material closet and found it deficient in these materials:

Amber liquid lace

Rusty brown ice dubbing

May we use substitutes?

Rockworm, I was mulling this over last night as I was faling asleep. My first reaction was "No, these are pretty easy supplies to obtain". Then I realized I am pretty privileged. I live in a metropolitan area that houses 2,000,000+ people and have 5 fly and tackle shops (3 of them excellent) within 20 minutes of my house, so all these materials are easy to obtain, and they were all in my tying room long before I made the list of materials. How about we wait until the swap is full and see how the rest of the tiers feel about substitutions. I would still like to see the list adhered to as closely as possible. (That is the point of the swap after all.)