Fly Tying
breambuster

June Bluegill Swap Club Thread

bream,

homer does know that if you join in the middle of the year like this that his first swap he has to tie double !!

welcome homer

craig

Double, you mean two flies instead of one? Wow....but I can handle two...lol...now, if you mean 22, well, we can discuss that...but if that's the rule, guess I better choose a pattern and start tying....it looks like rain all weekend here so good chance to get started...

But I do have one question. I had asked Breambuster in a PM, but I thought I might as well throw it out to the entire forum...so here goes....what do you usually use as far as hook sizes go?

Here where I live anything from a size 16 to 1/0 can work, depending on what's biting that day. You might be fishing for bluegills, but in the lakes around here we have those pesky channel cats...and they love to poach bluegill bait....I remember once trying to reel in a 5lb catfish on a size 8 cricket hook....long and skinny, that hook was mangled by the time I landed that fish....4 lb test line too....dang catfish...ate pretty good though...

But getting back to my question, any and all advice on hook size is greatly appreciated. I don't want to go too big or too small on my first swap.

Ok, torn between two patterns, after checking out what everyone else is tying....it will either be a Bead Head Squirrel Leech, or a Flying Hopper...

I was thinking of a Cicada pattern in honor of any East Coast members....because I was in Maryland the last time those thangs came out of the ground....freaked my wife out, literally. We were both in the USAF at the time and she actually changed from the day shift to the night (11pm-7am) shift just because of the Cicada's...one night she comes running into the house screaming her head off, I thought she was being mugged...and all she could say was "there is one of those....things...in my car...and I can't get to work....".....and after falling out of the bed laughing, and laying there for about 5 more minutes still laughing...got up and did the Manly thing...went out and grabbed the stupid bug and took it out of her car....stood guard for her too while she ran from the front door to her car....too funny....not to her, but it cracked me up....good thing she was working nights or it would have been couch city for me...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="famill00" data-cid="546804" data-time="1365269896"><p>

I will be tying a Sparkle Bully Bluegill Spider.<br />

<br />

-Forrest</p></blockquote>

I decided on a Bead Head Squirrel Leach pattern using an orange dyed pine squirrel for the 'zonker' strips....

My favorite is the chernobyl ant, white over blue but I switched up this time and did yellow over green. hope it catches as many fish!

Jolly Red's flies have arrived and they are REALLY nice! A yellow deer hair caddis pattern that looks like it's going to drive the 'gills NUTS! Thanks Jolly Red!

BB

We have several sets of flies to acknowledge. We have a great set of poppers from BassBugn. Really nice, and the 'gills are going to love this one. BassBugn, WHERE did you find those bodies? I need some more info on this one. Next we have some really neat leaches from our newest member, Homer. Very nicely done. Thanks for the flies and for filling our empty spot. And last, but certainly not least, we have some of those round-headed poppers from Crackleback. These are great looking poppers that are going to drive the 'gills nuts! Thanks, Guys! And thanks for the extras. That is always nice. I'm going to be out of touch for a few days. May even have a chance to wet a hook, who knows. There is still at least 1 set of flies out, but they should be in the mail tomorrow. I'll get this set out to you in a few days, and I'll let you know when they actually go into the mail.

Thanks, Guys.

BB

sorry guys

looks like i was the "cows tail" this month. between vacation and the first plugs not turning out like i wanted i was behind from the start.

but they are in todays mail

i hope you like'em

craig