Fly Tying
breambuster

June Bluegill Swap Club Thread

It's been a bit of a tough morning and I've had to deal with some confusing circumstances here, BUT, the flies for June are in the mail! This is another great set of flies. You're going to enjoy them. One thing, if anyone fails to get a fly from Riff, let me know and I'll make it right next month. Thanks to those of you who sent extras! I appreciate it, and it helps to make up for all the extra stuff I do as Swapmeister. This set marks 18 months in a row that I've been receiving, dividing up & mailing back sets of flies and it gets to be a bit of a job from time to time, but you are a great group to work with and that makes it so much better. Everyone but 1 had enough postage on your envelopes this time and that's great. I don't remember who was short, so there's no use in asking. One thing, however, please remember to put toe tags on your flies. I covered for those who forgot this time, but it does add a few extra minutes to the process.

Thanks, Guys!

BB

That's OK, Riff. But I've already sent them out. My problem was that I thought I had already received your set, but when I got ready to divide them out, I couldn't find your set! So I was going to apologize to you for not being able to find yours, mail your set to you with my envelope and postage & explain to everyone else why they didn't get a fly from you. Well, the website was SO SLOW that I decided to hold all the sets until I got in touch with you & after I had everything packed up, the mail came with a set of flies from you. So I unpacked again, added one of your flies to each of the other sets and put them in the mail. So that was a bit of the confusion I was dealing with this morning. It wasn't your fault, it was my own lack of attention. After 18 months, I think I'm getting tired. I've been focused on other things this month, including vacation and some plans I had for that & haven't been as conscientious with the sets of flies as I should have been. Today was a swift kick in the seat of the pants & I've got to do better. Did you tie up the same pattern for both sets or was the one you sent in something different?

BB

another great set of fly in the mail yesterday. can't say enough about them.

homer glad to have you with us, love the fly.

bream now i know what a predator really looks like.

i will try to copy all of them.

craig

Got my flies yesterday, and just got a chance to look at them tonight. Glad we don't have to pick out a favorite from this batch! All of them are great.

anyone care to share some pattern info on junes swap?

i would like to try to tie as many of them as i can

craig

3/16 inch wide craft foam, pearl krystal flash for the tail, large mono eyes, Dave Wooten Lime Green dubbing, orange round rubber legs. Tie in the eyes first, then the tail (5 strands of KF) cut the foam into a point and tie in right behind the mono eyes. Tie in with wide spirals of thread back to the tail. Dub the body starting at the tail all the way to hook eye. Fold the foam over and tie in both behind and in front of the mono eyes. Tie in the legs behind & in front of the eyes. Cover the thread wraps behind and in front of the eyes with dubbing. Fold the foam once more and tie in behind the eyes. Tie off and cut the foam in a "Vee" leaving a point for the next fly. It's really hard to explain this one. If you can get a copy of Chris Helms' "Bluegill Flies That Work" that's how I learned.

BB

#10 dry fly hook, yellow thread, fine yellow chenille, and yellow deer hair. Wrap thread base on the back half of the shank and tie in the chenille, Wrap the chenille about half way up the shank, tie off and trim. Spin on deer hair to cover the front half of the shank, tie off with a small head and whip finish. Trim the hair flat on the bottom of the shank to expose the hook, then trim the head to a bullet shape, leaving a wing of deer hair at the back of the head. Can be any color combination you want, I like yellow because it is easy to see while fishing.

Hey BB,

Sorry I have not responded to your request about the fly. It has been crazy the last week or so.

Recipe for the fly is:

Mustad 33903 size #10

Calftail for tail

Saddle hackle for skirt

foam for the body. I glued the different colors together then cut out and shaped and glued to hook.

I have a lot of fun with this fly, hope you all will too.

Steve