Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CTfishing1984

materials needed

hey everybody! hows it going im josh...

i need some information on fly tying and materials,few years back i had bought a fly tying kit,a portable one... but i never used it and until today i forgot that i had it...it has some basic tools and the vice and the box opens up as a work station small but usuable...

need to know what materials and hooks are needed,i just know how to fish them....i usually fish with wooly buggers and stone flys,and im wanting to know whats needed to tie these flys,,.? "and others"

i do use dry's as well,so basically i need to the basic materials, but i dont what anything is called kind of confusing to be honest...

any info would be helpful,and also any good cheap reliable places to buy this stuff at "usa" and this is all for trout fishing...i do use cabelas and bass pro but if any cheaper priced sites are out there please let me know!

thanks

ps anyone from connecticut

well for the wooly buggars your going to need marabou for the tail streamer hooks thread chenille for the body and hackle to palmer forward J Stockard has everything you will need and is the site sponsor with some great pricing

My favorite Stone fly nymph pattern is the Brooks stone fly. Materials are very simple: Size 4, 6, 8 hooks with 4 XL shanks. Black brown and dark tan wool yarn. Some goose biots for the tails, and grizzly, black and brown saddle hackle. You will wrap the body from the wool yarn, and palmer wrap a hackle through the front half of the body.

I don't use chenille on woolly buggers too often. I prefer to use dubbing that I make from chopped yarns. Then I need saddle hackles for these, and some marabou for the tails.

For dry flies, I use synthetic dubbing, and deer, moose and elk hair. I tie and fish several compara patterns. That float quite well using nothing but dubbing, some antron yarn, hackle fibers, deer hock or other fine (not hollow,) hair for the tails, all have deer hair wings, NO hackle necessry for any of these patterns. The caddis pattern I use most is the X caddis, and it uses just elk or deer hair for the wing, and some dubbing for the body. This pattern doesn't have any hackle, and has a trailing shuck of z-lon or antron yarn. I tie all my elk hair caddis without hackle.

As for places to shop, try the Green Caddis hooks. I have been tying on several different ones, and find they are very nice for the money. Other good inexpensive hooks, are found at J Stockard, Dream Drift Flies, Hook and Hackle, and Allen. Any or all of these on-line shops have good pricing on various other items.

Flytyers Dungeon has some excellent pricing on dubbing and synthetic fibers, and a few other things. I have quite a bit of their synthetic Congo hair. J Stockard's pricing is fair, and competitive. I like the line of products from Montana Fly Company, they are available at Dream Drift Flies.

Don't overlook the craft shops, for foam, boxes, glue, accent threads, and other items.

There are many items that can be found at yard sales. One of my favorite materials is yarn. I usually find it in craft shops or Big Lots, but I have picked up a lot at yard sales. Many uses for all kinds of yarn.

pick out 5-10 flies you want to tie and GOOGLE the recipes. from the recipes, buy the materials required to tie those flies. those materials become the building blocks for future fly patterns

ps anyone from connecticut

yup

j. stockard sells a pack of hackle just for buggers and I really like it. get a couple packs in the colors you like to use. i use yarn for bugger bodies a lot of the time too. i also use some synthetics from fly tyers dungeon for bugger tails. maybe they aren't really buggers anymore but they really catch fish.

thanks guys,the pricing isnt that much of an issue,but im gonna look into everything that yall suggested,and will hopefully start this fall or sooner...to the one in connecticut,where abouts im in the naugatuck valley"oxford" ,the kit that i bought came with materials,but everything is bright colors,and theres no names of what the material is!

and when buying hooks,do they sell a boxed variety pack set...

For hooks when I started tying again I bought some size 16 scud hooks, size 16 nymph hooks (long straight shank like a miniature streamer hook) and some size 8 streamer hooks because I like that size for my trout woolies. I can tie lots of flies on those three types of hooks. Then I added styles and sizes as needed. Others may have better advice but this worked for me.

Also on the subject of hooks, I have a friend that ties and we order packs of 100 and split them and the cost. The price per hook is quite a bit less this way.

Hello i am colin i live in bloomington IL i fish for bluegill and bass. if you fish woolly buggers here is what i would do

woolly buggers

Chenelle in Black, Brown, and Olive and White

Marabou in Black, Brown, Olive, and White

Hackle, Get a streamer capes in Black, Brown Olive, and White

White is to mimic minnows

Hooks i would get some 3x long streamer hooks in sizes, 8 to 12

The brand of hooks is all up to you