Fly Tying
Christopher K

June 2013 flies from the vice

Going on a Tiger Fishing trip to Mozambique tomorrow and just thought I would show some pics of the flies.

post-46109-0-60723800-1371124695_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-93413600-1371124710_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-10080800-1371124727_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-32373000-1371124738_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-61738900-1371124744_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-00297700-1371124751_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-26325100-1371124760_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-15604700-1371124766_thumb.jpg

post-46109-0-59247300-1371124773_thumb.jpg

Corey, nice little nymphy hackles!

Hahaha Fishypieter - 'Just heading to Mozambique...' Have a blast, can't wait to see some 'after pictures' i sense bare hooks with a tiny bit of material left. Superb tying.

Here's a neat little Czech-style nymph; it's one of Kevin Compton's patterns (Kevin owns http://www.performanceflies.com/). The fly is called a "Ginger Snap" due to the giner-colored peacock quill used for the body. The rest of the materials are listed in the video, as is the tying procedure; enjoy!

TC

Ok Crackaig,

I'm totally intrigued. How did you tie those Cluster midges?

Love all your patterns

Simon

If I am not mistaken those were tied using the paraloop technique.

• some of you men really go beyond when tying these flies. Truely Kimo, I think a machine tied a few of your flies, LOL!!! I mean no disrespect....I meant it is that good! I can only hope to achieve in my lifetime, half the skills you people here have achieved already. I have tied some pretty good files for myself, but they catch nothing, or so it seems. When i fail at some pattern attempts, they tend to catch fish the best!!! I don't get it. I have thought of putting a dab of Anise oil on my fingers while tying, just to eliminate my scent, perhaps Wash with some ZOTE soap before beginning. Maybe that will help....

My son said, fish don't like the way I smell. lol. I read an article on Zote soap and Anise, and realized, there may be something to it. I take a few medications that probably come out of pores and get all over my patterns and I don't even know it.

ANY THOUGHTS or am I just sincerely CRAZY?

Perhaps tomorrow, I will post some of my recent flops, I am sure some of you will get a kick out of them. :)

You've discovered that some flies catch fish and some catch fishermen. A scruffy fly(thankfully) works really well a lot of times.

I always used to give my hands a rinse in the water at the margins before fishing but tend not to anymore. The only thing I tend to still do is change my fly if I catch a fish and it has been taken well in the mouth. I always thought the hooked fish would release some enzymes that signal distress to the shoal and pass that into the bait I used. No proof for it but when I used to bait fish you would have to swap baits about or nothing took.

Ok Crackaig,

I'm totally intrigued. How did you tie those Cluster midges?

Love all your patterns

Simon

If I am not mistaken those were tied using the paraloop technique.

You got it. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the technique. It is a really simple fly. Just a dubbed body with a paraloop over. My customer described them and didn't know the technique. I will tie myself a few and see how they perform. I suspect it will be significantly differently to the Griffith's Gnat.

Cheers,

C.

Here's a neat little Czech-style nymph; it's one of Kevin Compton's patterns (Kevin owns http://www.performanceflies.com/). The fly is called a "Ginger Snap" due to the giner-colored peacock quill used for the body. The rest of the materials are listed in the video, as is the tying procedure; enjoy!

TC

Nice fly, although that's a butt, not a tag ;)