Fly Tying

A 7ft nymph rod for small streams in NJ for an East coast customer. Lemeke Seat Hardware ( Thanks Ron) Cocobola wood (Thanks again Ron) American tackle blanks from Karen, custom grip and Minima SF Guides

john1a.jpg
john3j.jpg
john4y.jpg
john2x.jpg
john5s.jpg

Beautiful work as usual. Having one of your rods (the Cattanach bamboo) I know your work. The handle on the rod I have is the rattan sandwiched between wood and love it for looks and feel. I'm not a big graphite user anymore but mostly bamboo or my old glass rods. I do have a 7' 3wt. blank sitting in the corner waiting for me to get serious and do some wrapping and gripping. I'll give that to a friend when I get it done. I also have a couple of 10' 9wt. blanks I was going to build for someone but they cancelled and blanks are just gathering dust now.

What line weight is that rod geared to? I'd think you'd want at least a 4wt, for throwing nymphs if most of his are weighted or beaded like I'm used to. If most of his stuff is unweighted 7' can make a nice 3 weight. I just got a new 7'3" quad bamboo in 3 wt. and will use it mainly for drys or unweighted soft hackles.

At the chance of appearing ignorant....what is the difference between a fly rod and a nymph rod?

He only fishes nymph on this stream and uses a bit of split shot and a line that is a bit heavier (cut back) for the short casts/high sticking so this one has a bit quicker of a tip than most 7ft rods. No "difference" its still a fly rod, but the action is more suited to his main intended purpose is all.

beautifull rod,I am new to fly fishing, what is the difference between the dry fly, wet, fly and streamer rods