Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

kevlar thread

I've still got part of a spool I bought over 20 years ago and within a very short time, it went from brown to green while still on the spool. (and away from the light) It certainly didn't wear off, it just faded. I'd imagine it would fade with or without coating. It might make good dental floss for Nile crocodiles, but IMO, it doesn't have much value for fly tying. However, if it's already faded to a color you can use, it would certainly make good durable bodies. Once the dye fades, it doesn't change color again.

natedubay, if you already furl leaders then no problem. If you don't, and would like to I can walk you through the process. Please feel free to get in touch. You will want some cheap thread, old sewing thread is ideal, to practice with first.

Cheers,

C.

I found that it sort of repelled the head cement. As I remember it did not seem to absorb well. It was very dull and faded. I agree with the complaints.

furled leaders is a different subject and a different thread

anymore kevlar users

I use Kevlar thread occasionally on Musky stuff. Its not my preferred thread by any means but if I need to do some strong tie-downs it doesnt do too bad. The biggest problem I have with it is its slippery AND the amount you get (at least at my local shop) is a lot less then my preferred UTC thread.

I use to tie globugs with Kevlar thread and it worked super. It takes a lot of torque to get the yarn tight enough to make small egg shaped globugs. I fished them in the Kenai River along with rabbit fur flesh flies to imitate salmon pieces that were abundant due to the practice of cleaning salmon and discarding carcasses into the river to prevent creating a localized feeding area for bears. Trout pretty much focus on salmon meat instead of insects during the runs. I still have several spools of the stuff and hold onto them in case I go back up north. I also made quite a number of bow strings with Kevlar thread. It proved to make skinny and fast strings. There are many new threads on the market that seem to be taking over the market.

Hi!

I use it for Paraloop-Posts exclusively, because it's a bit "slippery" against the tying-thread when you tye the post down wnd pull it tight........... I am sure you could use other materials as well, though.

Cheers, Obi