Fly Tying

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When fishing dries, wets or nymphs I like to present the fly from a position a little upstream and across from the fish. I walk/wade whichever direction allows me to do that for any given fish or likely fish-holding lie.

When fishing streamers (which I do about 80% of the time), I wade downstream, but throw the fly across and upstream at about a 45 degree angle. Fleeing baitfish, when faced with a predator, will almost always flee downstream so as not to have to fight the current. I find it much more effective to make my streamer do likewise. The above is my preferred method if I am fishing a floating line. If I'm using a sink-tip, I throw straight across-stream, as the current will quickly "belly" the sinking portion of the line, which will cause the fly to swim downstream.

I didn't vote because I usually fish up the stream (when I am fresh) and then back down (when I am tired.) When possible, I will walk down the road to get back to my car. So if I must vote, it would be for upstream. However, many a good fish has been caught as I waded back to the car.

I didn't vote because I usually fish up the stream (when I am fresh) and then back down (when I am tired.) When possible, I will walk down the road to get back to my car. So if I must vote, it would be for upstream. However, many a good fish has been caught as I waded back to the car.

I did vote. When I did most of my serious trout fishing up north in WI I was almost always able to walk upstream to a road crossing, then catch a ride back down to my car. Sometimes had to hide gear in brush but never had a problem doing that. In MN that option was not usually there but would always fish upstream first, then when about burnt out, take a break to let water rest, then start fishing back down. Seldom had the option to choose up or down right from the start.

Sometimes, if I had a buddy fishing with me, we'd drop one off at crossing, then other would drive upstream to another crossing. When we'd meet in middle a couple of hours later we'd take a break, pass the car keys over, then fish our way back to car, then drive to pick up buddy. That really worked great.

I start on my side upstream and dead drift down and past. I work across the stream, mending when needed, doing the same and let it run long and feed line if there is a particularly good looking spot I want to reach. If there is one of those up stream I'll bypass it so I can work down to it without lining it.

If there is someone above me I'll work until I feel it's close if I was in that spot, get out and move around, then start the process over again. I have no idea if they've beaten the water to death so I wont bother attempting to fish where they are. It seems to work well for me.

Many places I fish give options on where you access and which way you can walk. If there are no other anglers, I will walk down stream and work my way back upstream. As I fish, I will work the area from down stream to up stream. Then work the same area from up stream. I think its important to be able to cast and create the desired presentation (usually a dead drift for dries or nymphs,) in any direction (up down, and across.) Many areas will fish better from one side or the other, so I want to be fishing the full 180 degree arc either up or down stream.

If I am having success, and there is no reason to move on, I will usually fish the same area two or three times. I work the whole run, hole, or riffle from bottom to top and back again several times if possible. I have had times when I could fish the same 200 yard area all morning and catch fish on every pass.

If I am going to make a long walk, I prefer to walk downstream first, and start working my way back up to where I started. Easier walking when your fresh, than having a long walk back after a full day.