Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
natedubay

Cortland slip on loop failure.

. Fishing for brook trout with a 7X tippet is vastly different from pulling a 15-pound musky out of the weeds with a 10wt.

Obviously you never been brook trout fishing with me

Paul, I don't know how many times I have to tell you: that "#12 Line" printed on the rod doesn't refer to the length.

I have never seen the loop pull out. I saw guys cut them when they used spider wire type leaders fishing for salmon in Pulaski years ago. Someone got the bright idea that it would be better then just the regular leaders. The stuff was abrasive to the fly line. I have heard and read to never to use super glue because it is so hard and actually acts as a hinge and cuts. Ever see how sharp super glue waste gets on a tube?

I can't speak from experience, but there are a number of anglers whom I respect who use it, even on leader knots. The one specific type of super glue that's often mentioned is Loctite 406, which you won't find in a store. I've got some on order which I plan to use on a braided loop - I'll be sure to post the results. FWIW - thinned GOOP or Flexament comes in handy for coating knots, especially locking knots on Allbrights or Biminis. You can use multiple coats to smooth out knots so they'll slide through the guides easily.

I guess I'm glad I never gave up on a needle nail knot. Coat the knot with Pliobond if you really want to get fancy.

I have been using the whipped loop knot and it works great. Got the idea from our friendly curmudgeon j.smyzk

I'm a curmudgeon??? Hell maybe I AM getting old... Isn't there an age limit before one can be called that?

Anyhow, yeah, dump the fancy junk and use a whipped loop. I mean, look at the picture which was posted on this thread--- Braided Loop, Superglue, Heatshrink, and TWO nail knots. Holy Crap!

Whipped Loop is fly tying thread, and a coat of head cement, or whatever you want. When done correctly (it is difficult to do INcorrectly) the main fly line will break before the loop breaks, every time.

I'm almost certain it broke because of the hinging effect caused from the glue on it. Keeping it on for 3 years was probably excessive as well.

I'm going to take the line and do a whipped loop. And probably inspect equipment more often...

These hogs down at the river are really ticking me off, although the neighborhood is certainly being entertained by my efforts. Everyone has to pass over a narrow bridge across a swampy flats area on their way to or from home. The bridge also is the only area where I can get enough backcast room to really shoot line to the feeding lanes. So after giving the cars a wide berth at first, I'm now just concentrating on not directly hitting them.