Fly Tying
Piker20

fish size fly size.

You have a water containing wild trout and want to target the over 6lb fish and try to avoid the under 3lb ones (of which there are loads), what 3 flies do you take?

Saltyburn... Haha. I called that pike fishing. In fact, that's not a bad idea but its banned so I could always say it took a #14ptn.

Kudu.... Its a little loch(20miles long) near me that is touted as producing the next British record.

Well if there are bait fish in the loch, I would try imitations of those.

Piker, I thought I had a fair knowledge of fish, but what the heck is a "stickleback". Oh yeah, back to the question...My son and I were at a trout pond a few years back and I happened to notice that when I would throw a dull colored streamer I would catch a smaller trout but when I would offer them a bright or vivid colored one I would hook into a bigger trout. I don't have a clue if I was actually on to something or maybe the planets were just lined up right and I was holding my mouth a certain way that day....Stickleback?????.....

Sticklebacks (genus Gasterosteus) are pretty neat little fish which have a few spines forward of the dorsal fin. Like the spiny rays of bass or sunfish, only they are not distinctly part of a fin. They get to about 4 inches or so in length. They are well known for building "nests" out of plant material to rear their young or at least their eggs. Found all across the northern hemisphere.

You have a water containing wild trout and want to target the over 6lb fish and try to avoid the under 3lb ones (of which there are loads), what 3 flies do you take?

BIG weighted woolly buggers, zonkers, and Lefty's deceivers. You're still gonna get some "small" ones, but as long as you remember that big fish eat smaller fish, sooner or later, Moby Dick's gonna come a-knockin'. Give 'em a meal, not a snack.

Guess I'll go with my original idea of big articulated buoyant flies on a sinking line and big weighted woolies on a floater for late season as the big uns move into margins.

Hi, I am reading Streamers and Hoe to fish them By Joseph Bates. His opinion is that if you want to catch big fish use streamers. Trout are cannibalistic so from my lack of knowledge and judgement I would use one of the trout imitation stremes or bucktails in a large size. could be wrong I never had good trout water to fish

A nice large Gartside streamer in chartruse or other gaudy color.

I have great success w this type streamer on big fish.

Rich