Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

Fishing With The Ole Lady

I have been pushing my girlfriend to try fly fishing over the last 4-5 months pretty hard, at least to give it a shot and see if it was something she enjoyed doing and that we could perhaps do together. She has not really caught many fish at all spincasting but I figured panfish on the fly would be a good way to introduce her to fly fishing and to get into some exciting action!

A few months ago we went out for free casting lessons at a local shop and she seemed to enjoy it very much, learned to tie a few knots, got to cast a low end and really high end rod and see the difference that quality can make, etc. After that day I had a hard time getting her to go out, she seemed anxious about hooking herself and would not listen to me saying otherwise.

I finally convinced her to get out with me last night and after some initial frustration she started getting into some fish and having fun...so much so I guess that tonight she asked to go out again! She really prefers the custom 2wt rod that I purchased from Steve and asked if she could have one made...I told her that if she stayed interested and got more into things I would get her a custom 2wt all done up in purple and pink lol.

Some pictures of her first fish on the fly!

post-45233-0-74580100-1373851890_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-19455800-1373851927_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-63761400-1373851964_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-91096200-1373851975_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-18667800-1373852016_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-49268700-1373852054_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-47433000-1373852095_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to get her into tying lol. She tied a few way back when I first got into fly tying and fishing and a friend of mine from the states who was a guide years ago saw some pictures and said she was a natural as far as color selection, material and proportion goes, hopefully her success with catching fish will translate into her wanting to start tying her own flies.

Congrats on getting her to go, i have been trying to get my wife to try fly fishing for a while now but she still will not try; however she loves to catch big redfish at the coast on the Shimano Curado and usually outfishes me down there as well.

So long as my wife lets me out to fish im happy to leave her at home. After all, there is heaps of cooking and washing and ironing to be getting on with!

LOLOL Piker20!

Anyway good work, i think the fear of hooking yourself should go away with time just make sure you are up to date on tetanus shots. And of course sunglasses and a hat is essential.

My wife and I met through fly fishing. She showed at a tying event I was demonstrating at and asked if I would take her fishing. After 5 hours steelhead fishing with 3 feet of snow on the ground, I knew it was all over.

Congrats!!! Beautiful Fish are always complimented by a "French Manicure" biggrin.png

Lol it is quiet the contrast.

My wife and I met through fly fishing. She showed at a tying event I was demonstrating at and asked if I would take her fishing. After 5 hours steelhead fishing with 3 feet of snow on the ground, I knew it was all over.

That would do it, sounds like a keeper lol.

And the really cool thing was that she did not complain once. That was 13 years ago, now I take her and our three monkeys fishing.

I think I will keep going with panfish, move to bass , and perhaps eventually she will give steelheading a try in the cooler fall weather, who knows.

Probably a good idea. Ever since that first trip she looks at me even stranger than ussual when I ask her if she wants to go in the winter.

Ole Lady? What are you...an outlaw biker?laugh.png Your significant other could become a great fishing companion if you go easy and give her the options of when to go and when to quit. I ruined my wife for fishing with me because I was way too serious about my fishing many years ago. Extremely competetive and couldn't tolerate things that interfered with my fishing. Because of that she's now my companion on many trips, but no longer wants anything to do with the fishing end of it. Happy to read her book and take a look to see what I have if she hears splashing. If I could go back and do a better job of working with her she could be a fishing companion today, and tho I'm happy she enjoys going with, it would be nice to see her throwing nice loops and drifting a few flys herself.

Nope, not a biker just an ex factory worker turned HVAC technician ;-)

Thanks for the insight, makes a lot of sense. I have pushed a few times since to go out but she has declined at which point I just go out myself. I hope she comes around again.

So long as my wife lets me out to fish im happy to leave her at home. After all, there is heaps of cooking and washing and ironing to be getting on with!

Beside, we wouldn't want them wimmin's to be too tired from castin' to clean the fish we bring home.