Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bentflyrod

Things we did when we were kids!

jbrowning,

I'm not old like you farts. I still got alot of years before I refer to "good ole days". tongue.gif

BFR, fun thread man. When I was a kid I was never in the house a minute more than I had to be...even if it was 30 below outside. We played basket ball until the ponds froze, then had pick-up hockey games that lasted sun-up till sun-down. Played football on saturdays soon as I finished my chores (bout 1000am) till it was suppertime! Played baseball the same way. If we couldn't get enough people together for a game we went fishing in one of several farmponds around or this little brookie stream about a half mile away (rode our bikes). My mother had one rule: be home at the exact time she said to be or get grounded. If I came home late and sassed her, dad wore me out with a belt and i got grounded. Learned how to gage time well. I have never spared the rod on my kids and don't suspect they will on theirs...actions-consequences...simple.

Oh, yeah, when all of the previously mentioned items failed, we actually read books, played soldiers, and used our imaginations. At night, in bed we hid our little transistor radios and listened to the wide world outside of us and dreamed.

A.A.

I get the willies thinking about some of the stunts we did. Probably the worst one I remember is my buddy daring me to stick a penny on the tracks - - - as the train was going by. AND I WAS FOOL ENOUGH TO DO IT! Yikes!!! Still shake when I think about that one. Sure, it was only going slow, but the consequences of one mistake with that one .... What an idiot I was.

Ok, you guys are bringing back memories of my Boy Scout days!

-BB gun fights, with a twist...we made kayaks as a troop project, and on the inaugural float we had a full-on sea battle. I took 3 hits.

-Dirt clod fights on the mine tailings of the Kennecott copper mine

-Playing capture the flag in the woods on a moonless night.

-How to make a tennis ball cannon

-How to open a can of beans using a campfire

-How to make a dry ice bomb*

*unsanctioned activity...no merit badge

And before the scouting days, there were horrible accidents in the sandbox involving matchbox cars and gasoline. Matchbox cars burn surprisingly well.

My brother had allergies bad enough to warrant daily shots. Naturally, syringes meant an effective way to precicely place gasoline in the abdomen of a live grasshopper. Add a magnifying glass and a hot summer day.

There was the time that the little plastic indians attacked the Lincoln Log fort, incinerating the little plastic soldiers (again, gasoline involved...my dad should never have placed the sandbox next to the toolshed)

I had a neighbor who was an explosives expert in the mining industry. He showed us how to wire firecrackers to a battery for chain explosions.

You can greatly improve the accuracy of a bottle rocket by shooting it through 10 feet of PVC at the neighbor kid.

You can hollow out a snowball & fill it with dog shit.gif You can really get in trouble for a head shot on the neighbor kid with said snowball, but even more trouble for calling the victim a $h!thead, regardless of the accuracy of the phrase.

Remember, many of us are the offspring of what is termed the greatest generation. After reading the post, I had to add a few items myself.

1. Riding a bike to school because you lived too close to the school and parents worked and didn't act as chauffeur. You walked in the winter.

2. Baseball in an empty field behind the subdivision. The area was cleared by out fathers. Had backstop, bases, pitcher's mound and outfield fence.

3. Playing army and fighting Japs or Krauts...all our fathers were WWII or Korea veterans.

4. Vietnam was an unknown place.

5. Anger management was duking it out to settle differences and you still remained friends.

6. Watching TV, surviving on 3 channels. Summertime was reruns so we stayed outside until almost dark.

7. Knowing just about everyone in the neighborhood. Now we don't even know who lives next door.

8. Spending just about every day at the city pool during the summer.

9. Going to your uncle's farm and running wild. Fishing in the river with Dad.

To paraphrase part of a line from an old documentary about the building of the old West, "Wouldn't it be damn fun to start all over again?" Bob Hope's theme was "Thanks for the memories." headbang.gif

My brother had allergies bad enough to warrant daily shots. Naturally, syringes meant an effective way to precicely place gasoline in the abdomen of a live grasshopper. Add a magnifying glass and a hot summer day.

Mom teaching us how to start a fire with a magnifing glass. Then teaching us how to roll our own smokes, out a paper plates and tree leaves. sick.gif sick.gif

BFR

ditto, ditto, ditto to all of the above. tongue.gif

I remember at the age of five getting a bike and the whole world opening up to me. Poof, gone, I'll see you at dinner. A small part of that freedom came from living on an air force base (we used to go off base, mom DIDN'T know that), but the point is it was a simpler time.

Not to burst anyones bubble on how crazy we were, but some of the vids that I've seem on the net has me wondering if there will be any males to carry us through to the next generation. Everyone wants to be a Jackass.

Art

I just remember my brother and I at opposite ends of the street riding our bikes at each other with broom sticks as lances and boat cushions as shields.

QUOTE (nightfish @ Jan 21 2005, 05:11 AM)
And before the scouting days, there were horrible accidents in the sandbox involving matchbox cars and gasoline. Matchbox cars burn surprisingly well.

Thats brings back some memories i lost a number of matchbox cars to "accidents" where the car caught on fire laugh.gif whistling1.gif long as were talking about that how many others use to spend a few days building a scale model airplane...only to finish it then stick a blackcat firecracker in the tail section and toss it up in the air? whistling1.gif

SD

only to finish it then stick a blackcat firecracker in the tail section and toss it up in the air?

BB guns and firecrackers were good for destroying models that I built. I use to hook a train transformer with a long piece of speaker wire to the explosives, just like in the war movies. Push the plunger and boom, all gone.

Tim

You can't forget seeing who had guts enough to hold a bottle rocket in his mouth until it took off...

throwing a handful of darts in the air in a horrible game of "chicken"...

Construction sites... need I say more?

There was that one game we'd play. Finding old circular saw blades, we discovered that if you whipped them just right not only could you roll them down the street but you could also produce sparks. This led to Dodge-Saw games that were just insane.

I'm so glad that we grew up before we killed each other! That's why I hated the show Jackass. These guys never grew up and they were using their place as role models to get kids to do more of the stupidest things.

Like the stuff I listed here.

Tackle Football on the road, ect. ect. You are right about still being here. I used to go to bed with a book in my pajamas, as I knew I was getting a spanking. The kids now a days have it made in some ways. Others I feel they are missing out. The way they are talking to there parents and getting away with it, is scarry. What are they going to do in the real world when no is the only option to them? unsure.gif

I remember the time my cousin and I were having a campfire in the back yard( we were neighbors) after the first aerosal can went empty and got thrown in the fire bugeyes.gif he went back inside to go get another one. Meanwhile I'm out by the fire, we had an extension cord ruan out to the back yard with a tv watching the NBA finals, I think it was the bulls and the trailblazers, anyway, all the sudden I hear this strange hissing sound, I run to his house screaming"it's gonna blow, it's gonna blow!!!" So now he finds some more aerosal propelled cans and we go back out to the fire, still hissing, so he throws 2 more in. Well to make a long story short it blew. I remember seeing him as we were running away get nailed in the back by a big chunk of wood or something. Those were the days biggrin.gif