Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NsFlyFisherman

Getting There..

I have been tying for 2 years now and still have a few issues, more experience will work it out, but heres a question for you guys, how do you get the "topping" to look right and almost touch? And any advice on how to get the tippets lower?

Cheers

Here's my latest

DSC00003_zpse6a3fa1c.jpg

I don't even attempt those kinds of flies. I tie flies to catch the kinds of fish that eat live creatures. If I tied up one of these and it looked right, I'd be afraid to get it wet. Your's looks pretty, but I understand the yellow/gold single strands should curve in and touch at the end. I would guess that it just takes a lot of trial and error to get the lengths and curve correct to get that effect.

Good luck with that.

Also any one know where to source Jungle Cock at a reasonable price? eBay?

There is the guy on ebay. I have a buddy who has bought from him and it was great. I've heard mixed reviews on the legality of it, but I don't know for sure. I have bought nails from Theriault Farms to use for alignment marks on fly rods. It was a good experience. I believe the Feather Emporium sells capes, look under exotics, then junglefowl. I think the jungle cock you'd look for is the Grey Junglefowl. He's more than the ebay guy but there aren't the legal questions. Maybe someone on here can speak to that.

I got one off eBay for a reasonable price. You have to be patient, though. Individual capes can get bid up far beyond their market value. Mike at Eflytyer.com (http://www.mwflytying.com/) has a few tyer's grade capes, you might check with him too.

I don't do too many of the Classic Atlantic Salmon flies, but have done a few. The tail and the Crest need to be carefully selected for the size hook first. There are proportion diagrams out there somewhere. It helps to shape your tails and crests first by wetting them down and using a needle to work in a natural curve to the feathers on a small mirror or piece of glass. Then let them dry in place.

Tie in the tail, and then fit the crest before tying the rest of the pattern. Then you know they will fit together. You may need to pre crimp the tie in point on your crests and tippets to make they lay in right as well. Stripping a few more fibers from the bottom of the tippets will help them lay down closer to the hook.

Go on over to the Classic Fly Tying Forum (sister site.) There are a lot of great tiers over there who can give you a LOT more help with these patterns.

Jungle cock ranges in price from expensive to exorbitant. Just something we are stuck with I'm afraid.

Moulding the GP crest feathers is the way to go. You can wet them and stick them to the outside of a drinking glass with the curve you want on it.

Cheers,

C.

The second one is looking much better, just a couple of extra coats of head cement to smooth out the head.