Fly Tying
HammerCreek

Creating a fly tying video

Normally i don't plug my site, but I posted a blog on what I've learned about making fly tying videos over the past 6 months. This forum is a great place to share talents and if you ever wanted to get into videos hopefully this helps.

http://www.hammercreekflyfishing.com/1/category/creating%20a%20fly%20tying%20video/1.html

That was nice of you to share this with everyone. I am still trying to figure out what to purchase just to photograph some of my flies and then post them so a video is more than likely not in my near future. I have checked into a couple light tents and played around with my camera but I haven't gotten the quality that I am after yet. You have some great videos and share a lot of information with everyone and I thank you for it.

Take Care,

Tony

That was nice of you to share this with everyone. I am still trying to figure out what to purchase just to photograph some of my flies and then post them so a video is more than likely not in my near future. I have checked into a couple light tents and played around with my camera but I haven't gotten the quality that I am after yet. You have some great videos and share a lot of information with everyone and I thank you for it.

Take Care,

Tony

very nice blog post and quite informative.

I appreciate the feedback...you can really get in the weeds with details hopefully this was enough of an overview to get someone going!

I can only hope more people read and follow your guidelines!!

Your videos are very well done, edited perfectly, and the presentation is beautiful for someone

struggling with a pattern or technique. I really appreciate the camera perspective from the fly

tier's point of view (and not from across the table).

The popularity of on-line videos is quite boon in assisting people to tie their own flies. Compared

to some I have seen which were out of focus, poorly lit, backward perspective, poor tying technique,

no information on the pattern materials, and my main pet peeve - no information on the hook style/size;

your productions are a standard that I wish anyone who wants to produce a fly tying video should at

least try to emulate.

Thank You for your great work...

I also prefer First Person. Head On Belly Shit is the most annoying view. I don't care what shirt you are waring or what you eat because of the stains on it or the ever moving background. First Person can be done shooting with the camera between you and the vise. I shoot mine a little different. My camera is mounded about 6 feet behind me and about 6 feet off the floor shooting over my right shoulder. The only trick is to turn your vice a little bit to the side to get it almost parallel to the camera lens. Just zoom in really tight and your will be fine. Another trick I do is once I set my pedestal vise and it is in the proper spot, I mark its location on my dest with Blue Painter Tape. Lighting is key. The more light you have the better. Also, the further you can put the background behind the vise the better for me. I can then light the background with one set of lights and then light the vise with another set. This way I can get rid of any shadows and hopefully when I tie I wont cast any shadows on the background. I will replace the audio and will do a voice over. When I shoot a video after every step I purposely let go of my thread and let the bobbin hand straight down out of the frame and then count to three and then go to the next step. This gives me fixed editing point. I will always cut out as much dead air out of the video. My goal is 4 to 7 minutes videos. You will loose you audience after it. Also, a picture of the finned fly at the begging and a list or material before the tying that you can read is a must.

MY BIGEST PET PEAVES:

- Annoying Backgrounds

- Looking at your Chin or Beard or a Hawaiian Shirt

- Hearing the Kids or Cat or Your Mom calling you for dinner in the background

- Making me with while you run to the basement to get your Possum Ass Fur

- The "Speed Up" Videos or Turbo tying

- Showing you Drinking or smoking during the video

- The person that must tell a 7 minute story before the tying boasting about him and how great he is. I am a flyting GOD..

- Putting the bag of material or thread up to the camera for 1.743 seconds to show us what you used

- Not zoomed in tight

- Loud and obnoxious music

Just my thought.....

Brad

Hammer Creek,
Great Job and Much Mahalo!
As someone who has tried to produce quality fly tying with high production values
I really appreciate the time and effort put in to your videos for no real return.

Once again Mahalo,
Kimo

Here is one of them. Very simple video that I did. I have shot a bunch of theirs. The best vidos are the ones produced by Tight Lines Video Productions in N J. Have you shot any of the?

If you don't like:

SECOND PERSON PERSPECTIVE

POOR LIGHTING

VIDEO FRAMING 2/3 FLY TYER, 1/3 FLY (FOR MOST ON THE VIDEO)

ANNOYING "PERSPECTIVE" ON WHY I AM A FLY TYING GOD

Then please avoid the "Flies that catch Fish" two volume DVD set by Bob Wyatt

These videos include a section on the "philosophy" of the flies - yet Bob drones on and on and on

throughout the painful experience of watching these productions....

Nice vid buzfly... Tight line does make great videos, Davie mcphail and fly fish food are also ones I check regularly.

I really like McPhail's videos also, well made, his explanation and tying make it easy to understand what he's doing.