Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

flexible glues

Ok folks, I've searched through some of the old threads on using flexi glues to make feather wing cases etc. They all refer to using thinned fleximent. Thinning it with something called touleen (spelt that wrong)

In the UK I can find this glue which is sold as a flexible binder for books etc. www.amazon.co.uk/Aleenes-Flexible-Stretch-Fabric-Glue/dp/B003W0MTUY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1384001304&sr=8-7&keywords=flexible+glue

Now I imagine this would also need thinning for fly tying use.

My Question is, has anyone found a product that can be used straight out the bottle? Messing about with buying thinners and then thinning the glue just for a feather case is too much hassel. For flies I'm using myself I'd stick to the synthetic wing cases unless I can find a quick easy glue.

If you mean on hares ear nymphs I just use Dave's flex cement on them. It works well on Turkey and keeps them from splitting. I never found the need to thin it.

Jeremy

Piker, It isn't really a glue, but I use artist fixative. I used to use it on my pencil drawings and had a can sitting around when I read that it worked for wing cases. I just spray the entire feather, outside because it stinks, and then let it dry for a little while and then tie away. I have tried a few brands and I am currently using Grumbacher and like the results. It won't bond the fibers together as well as a glue will but it works good for me. A couple light to medium coats works better than one thick heavy coat.

Take Care and hope this helped,

Tony

Tony So the spray holds it together with a little flex?

Scud, yes for stone flies etc, hares ears I like the spilt look plain untreated feathers give.

I looked at Dave flexment but ml for ml its expensive and lots of folk say it needs thinning.

Piker, yes it holds the fibers together fairly well. I use a bodkin to split the section from the turkey quill after the fixative has dried. You can get "workable fixative" or "final fixative". The workable is for drawings that are still not completed and the final is for when you have completed your masterpiece, but either one seems to work good on the feathers. I have used a matte finish Krylon clear also but it usually leaves some unwanted stuff on the edges of the feather slip. I have dipped my fingers in clear lacquer and smeared it on both sides of a quill too but you can imagine how messy that can get...

Take Care,

Tony

oops...I had to edit my post... I forgot to say that, yes it stays flexible

goop or daves fexament

any kind of fixative or flexible glue is not going to provide protection against fish teeth. it may prolong the inevitable but not for long

Norm, hadn't really considered the long term performance. As I say, really just considering it for that magazine look but I think I might just stick with synthetics and coat with varnish for a bit of flash.

you might consider uv resin coating the wing case

dont blob it on like a copper john. just a thin brushing and zap it with the light is all thats needed

i would personally leave au natural for that "magazine" look

Among other products, I've used vinyl cement in the past. It's not perfect, but it's inexpensive and the right consistency from the bottle. Used it for quill wingcases and deer hair bug faces/collars.

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Waterproof-Neoprene-Rubber-Leather/dp/B004KKWXFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384010459&sr=8-1&keywords=vinyl+cement

Norm I've been using UV resin but it is a bit stiff and doesn't produce quite the finish I was hoping for.

Bugsy, id seen that and will consider it.

As I say, this won't improve the flies at all in the fishes eyes, just a personal vanity I'm trying to satisfy.

The Aleene's product you have referred to is NOT an artist spray fixative as you can see by the bottle it is in. It is about the consistency of syrup.

0001183.jpeg

I think the same product is sold in the USA as Aleene's Fabric Fusion.

fabgric-glue.jpg

I use the product above and it is a water soluble polyurethane. It is flexible and you dilute it with water. It is kind of a water soluble aquaseal.

http://tinyurl.com/plsjnuz

You can use an artist spray fixative to coat feathers. I use the Krylon brand and it works well but I think Dave's Flexament or the do it yourself version of GOOP diluted with Toluene or Toluol is more durable. You can determine how thick you want the coating to be.

Yeah I thought the aileens stuff would be thick. Think I'll keep with what I've got. All the thinning and mixing is a hassel for the numbers id be tying

There is a product called Feather-Tough available through Cascade Crest. It's a thin liquid in a small pump spray bottle. I don't know if it is available in the UK.

if none of the ideas that we are posting up are what you want, what exactly are you tying and what exactly is the effect youre trying to achieve? i'm puzzled

doublemain.gif

Something along these lines.

It isn't that the ideas posted wont work, but I might only knock out a dozen or two of this type of fly for a box and the flexi glue / thinner mixing thing seems a lot of hassel. I might try the artist spray stuff that Tony mentioned.

When I try the folded feather like above ^ the feather splits open with UV resin or laquer or similar.

OH and that is not a fly I tied. Thats the fly I'm aiming at pinched from Trout Unlimited.