Fly Tying
Sampler

Hoppers Patterns

I've had most success with a black seal's fur Bristol Hopper with a pearl rib, short tail of pearl Krystal Flash, P.T. legs, and grizzle hackle. When I first fished it I had only a couple with the tail. More without. The fish didn't want the ones sans tail. As always with my dubbing, the black was made up of various colours, a lot of dark green, touches of red and amber mixed into the black. I think I still have some of the dubbing so I'll tie and photograph one later, once I've got the orders out of the way.

Cheers,

C.

Yes I find the legs out perform the non leggy ones by 4:1 or there abouts. I'm hoping the sili legs will be as attractive but doubt it as the PT legs are so much softer and must move with any natural water or wind action.

But I'm told PT isn't as sturdy, or at least peacock herl isn't. Does PT hold up over time and wear?

Well pheasant tail and peacock are two very different materials. PT used as a body I find is ok when a rib is used. Peacock tends to tear up regardless. The pheasant tail legs obviously have no protection and tend to come away even if a fish slashes at the fly and isn't hooked.

That is why I am trying alternative leg options but the reason the PT legs work so well I think is down to the same reason they are so fragile. Would I rather tie a dozen flies and be willing to hook a dozen fish and re tie the flies or tie one fly that lands 4 fish but is still fishable? Leave that one to you.

There are different thicknesses of sili legs, and some thinner ones might work better than the stiff kind most seen on hoppers. Also you can buy silicone skirts (intended as replacements on spinning lures) that are nice and flexible. You might try those.

Yep I have some micro sili legs and they are soft but still (to the eye) 3 or 4x thicker than a pair of PT fibres knotted. The sili legs also lose softness the shorter you cut them. I like my hopper legs just to the bend and the sili legs lose a lot of movement that short. I believe I will stick to knotted PT and just tie plenty. Fish certainly love them. As Crackaig says black is good but dont leave ginger out of the box. Ginger hopper up there in top 3 dries for me.

There's one just like the black that is called Claret Hopper. That has a juicy sound to it.

Piker.... also I noted that most of the UK flies (3) I could find used tinsel or Lurex for ribbing.

That has become more popular for adding buyers appeal. I personally find the fish prefer less bling and a more 'dug in' fly. I'll get the pics done of my hoppers tonight and stick them up. Some with tinsel and most with wire.

This is my ZB hopper , I dont think picture does him justice cant see black hackle wings so well black on black ,

post-53702-0-19472700-1410015127_thumb.jpg

post-53702-0-76985600-1410129799_thumb.jpg