Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniperfreak223

Bluegill imitations

I'd like to see if anyone else here have ever experimented with bluegill/crappie imitations...I've been working on finding a good Clouser-style pattern for a few years now. I have a pattern that uses olive grizzly saddle hackles and olive bucktail for the tail, then multi-colored (olive on the back and orange and blue on the belly) calf tail for the head with rainbow Flashabou for the flash for a few years with pretty good success, now I've been experimenting with a similar pattern with the calf tail replaced with Senyo's Lazer Dub to create a flatter, wider profile. It looks very good in the test tank, now I just have to wait until spring to give them a test drive. I'll post pics and a recipe when I can get my camera and computer to cooperate.

Anyone else tie bluegill imitations? would you be willing to share?

Guest rich mc

I have tied some Calcasieu pigboats in bluegill colors green craft hair tail, green thick chenille, silicone strands of yellow and green on top , blue on the sides and orange bottom. rich mc

Not Clouser style, EP style. Here in So. Calif. these work well. It also depends on the lake you are fishing. Some lakes are great BG pattern producers some are quite the opposite.

087_zps831f2659.jpg

088_zps7aaddf72.jpg

Flyster....those are some nice looking BG patterns. I have never fished such a style but I would think that the bass, pickerel , and Pike would eat them with enthusiasim. If not just hit them in the head with a ball bat.:)

I don't tie Bluegill imitations. However, EP bluegill style flies such as the ones pictured in flyster's post above are the first things

I try when the popper bite is off. I've done pretty well with them. You do need to comb them out from time to time to maintain the

desired movement of the flies.

Hey Bruce.....I love the hair cut. .....How many times has that fly been wet?:)

Hey Bruce.....I love the hair cut. .....How many times has that fly been wet?smile.png

Never, Don't think it would, #1- fish well; and 2nd. It took too long, I was sort of spoofing the post (showing off again), dont mean to steel the post, so im out

No, please, Bruce, steal away. I think the momentum of this topic has dropped off anyway.

Pat Cohen ties those Punk Rockers, and he expects them to be fished. He charges around $25.00 for the standard patterns, a little more if you want something specific.

I am with you though. I think they'd tend to lie on top of the water and look rather unappealing after a very short time. But I'd also bet you could get a giant bass to hammer one if it was "floundering" on top like an injured fish.